·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
current setup:

receiver: Onkyo TX-SR607 7.2

speakers: Martin Logan MLT-1 and 2 Polk Audio R50s

subwoofers: the sub that comes with the MLT-1 and the velodyne impact-10

I have the MLT-1 set up in my living room, and the 2 R50s and the velodyne 10 set up in what we'll call the beer pong room. the ml sub in the main room sounds great but the impact-10 in the bp room sounds bad, no joke the $60 r50s each put out more bass than the impact-10.

so I have 2 12" kicker solar-baric l7s (750rms each) in a box with a kicker kx3 crossover sitting on top. if I was to return the impact-10 and put hook the l7s up, how much would I be looking at spending to make them work? also how would they sound? they sounded amazing in my car but that was wayyyy smaller.

would it be cheaper just to spend the same money on a home sub? like I saw the BIC V1020 sub in another post and its a little less than what I payed for the impact-10 it looks like it sounds alot better though

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jesus /forum/post/18201924

current setup:

receiver: Onkyo TX-SR607 7.2

speakers: Martin Logan MLT-1 and 2 Polk Audio R50s

subwoofers: the sub that comes with the MLT-1 and the velodyne impact-10

I have the MLT-1 set up in my living room, and the 2 R50s and the velodyne 10 set up in what we'll call the beer pong room. the ml sub in the main room sounds great but the impact-10 in the bp room sounds bad, no joke the $60 r50s each put out more bass than the impact-10.

so I have 2 12" kicker solar-baric l7s (750rms each) in a box with a kicker kx3 crossover sitting on top. if I was to return the impact-10 and put hook the l7s up, how much would I be looking at spending to make them work? also how would they sound? they sounded amazing in my car but that was wayyyy smaller.

would it be cheaper just to spend the same money on a home sub? like I saw the BIC V1020 sub in another post and its a little less than what I payed for the impact-10 it looks like it sounds alot better though

Home sub .. To much work to swap a car sub into a home, and 90% wont come near 30 hz at a descent level in room.. Been there done that with 2 DC lvl 3 subs run off a 1000 watt plate amp..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 /forum/post/18201937

Home sub .. To much work to swap a car sub into a home, and 90% wont come near 30 hz at a descent level in room.. Been there done that with 2 DC lvl 3 subs run off a 1000 watt plate amp..

well what sub should I be looking at then? the level of bass I'm accustomed to is that of the 2 l7s, so anything else just doesn't compare. I don't wanna spend $20,000 on a sub like some of these ones I saw but the impact-10 is crap to me. any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Well I dunno what you should be looking at with no info. How big is your room what's it gonna be playing how much do u wanna spend etc. Also realize your solos are in 150 cubic foot cabin on tones above 35 -40 hz hitting somewhere around 140 db while a ht sub is designed for about 40 and down for the good stuff and usually crossed over at 80 hz, Your room could be anywhere from 1000 -10000 cubic feet so looking for levels in a car cabin to match a house is just not gonna happen. But without knowing anything I'm gonna say danley dts10 @ I believe around $1500 as a DIY build. If you decide to buy a manufactured sub your gonna be spending about $5,000.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 /forum/post/18202019

Well I dunno what you should be looking at with no info. How big is your room what's it gonna be playing how much do u wanna spend etc. Also realize your solos are in 150 cubic foot cabin on tones above 35 -40 hz hitting somewhere around 140 db. Your room could be anywhere from 1000 -10000 cubic feet so looking for levels in a car cabin to match a house is just not gonna happen. But without knowing anything I'm gonna say danley dts10 @ I believe around $1500 as a DIY build. If you decide to buy a manufactured sub your gonna be spending about $5,000

yeah I hadn't thought about that. its 2 joined rooms, about about 15x20x10 each. I guess I'll just have to buy a bunch of subs 1 by 1 and if its not loud enough, return it for the next one up

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jesus /forum/post/18202022

yeah I hadn't thought about that. its 2 joined rooms, about about 15x20x10 each. I guess I'll just have to buy a bunch of subs 1 by 1 and if its not loud enough, return it for the next one up

Umm ok? You plan on getting reference level bass at best buy for 12,000 cubic feet of room? Cuz that's the only place I know your gonna be able to return stuff just cuz you don't like it. U still didn't say how much you wanted to spend either. I figured by your screen name you would have a smarter way of going about this

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 /forum/post/18202034

I figured by your screen name you would have a smarter way of going about this

Obviously you are not a golfer.
(anyone who gets that joke is officially my buddy forever!)

Well, we're in the DIY forum how about we talk you into building a sub? The flavor of the month here is the THT which many users have built recently and seems to put out excellent quality and quantity bass for ~$300 to build.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
These threads pop up every other week it seems? I started my own a year ago. I built a box and bought a plate amp for my Memphis Audio 15" dvc MOJO. Im perfectly happy with how it performs. Its better than what I could have emagined.

I also used 2 12" Memphis Audio dvc to rebuild 2 DCM subs I bought years ago. They do pretty well too.

Im happy and im sure with the right people helping you, you can be happy as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I am completely clueless (not to mention lazy) when it comes to building a sub. I'm more of a guy asking which masterpiece to hang in his living room while being told to just paint one myself. the money I could sell the l7s for combined with the money I'll get for returning the impact-10 I should be able to find a much better sub so maybe I'll hunt around for work today for one that sounds alot better.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jesus /forum/post/18203002

well I am completely clueless (not to mention lazy) when it comes to building a sub. I'm more of a guy asking which masterpiece to hang in his living room while being told to just paint one myself. the money I could sell the l7s for combined with the money I'll get for returning the impact-10 I should be able to find a much better sub so maybe I'll hunt around for work today for one that sounds alot better.

don't forget cheap!

Ur gonna be heavily disappointed if you think a$500 manufactured sub is gonna sound anywhere near reference in your 12000 foot room. Time to not be lazy

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/18202233

Obviously you are not a golfer.
(anyone who gets that joke is officially my buddy forever!)

Well, we're in the DIY forum how about we talk you into building a sub? The flavor of the month here is the THT which many users have built recently and seems to put out excellent quality and quantity bass for ~$300 to build.

Lol. Dunno if I'm right but the first thing that came to mind was the big lebowski. And I lol'd just a bit

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 /forum/post/18204180

Lol. Dunno if I'm right but the first thing that came to mind was the big lebowski. And I lol'd just a bit

We have a winner Buddy! Not sure but I'm thinking the OP's name of "The Jesus" is based on The Big Lebowski (Nobody F*cks with The Jesus!) (8 year olds, dude). Sorry, I absolutely LOVE that movie!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/18204231

We have a winner Buddy! Not sure but I'm thinking the OP's name of "The Jesus" is based on The Big Lebowski (Nobody F*cks with The Jesus!) (8 year olds, dud). Sorry, I absolutely LOVE that movie!

Lol me to! Ahh the good ol days. Reminds me that I actually need to go buy a new bowling ball

·
Registered
9,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jesus /forum/post/18203002

What is the budget you have?

There are heaps of documented builds here and other sites and companies like Exodus have application notes describing various builds for their drivers, so all you need to do us copy them. You might actually have to think a bit, such as converting a volume into a box of wdh, but it's not exactly neurosurgery.

BTW, didn't I just see you on a tortilla?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I dont' know if the OP is still watching this thread, but while I was in college and had no car, I actually had a pretty reliable (albeit, relatively unsafe) way of using all of my car audio equipment in my apartment. This included an Alpine 7894, two 6x9's in a box, a Kicker KX600.1, and two Polk MOMO MM124's in a sealed box.

there are probably ppl in this forum that would be appalled by what I did, but anyways, this is how it was done:

1) Bought a cheap-o 12V car battery from autozone for $40

2) Bought a heavy-duty battery charger

3) wire up everything as if it were in a car (with in-line fuses and everything)

4) turned it on

5) had a few parties

6) whenever the voltages got too low (via multimeter), recharge!

This bypasses the need to get any kind of inverter or spending money on plate amps. However...

7) Had a small fire

8) extinguished it with a beer-soaked towel

9) returned the battery to autozone

10) dropped $200 on an Optima Yellowtop

11) had more parties

I had this working for about 9 months before I moved out and let me tell you we had a pretty good time. Those MOMO twelves definitely pumped! We also pointed our projector at the ceiling and used MilkDrop for added effect. The Yellowtop was enough to blast the aforementioned setup for a good 6 hours before I needed to recharge.

I'm not saying this isn't a no-brainer, but no one ever seems to mention that this is possible (maybe for good reason). I should still stress that what I did wasn't the safest thing in the world (fire), but for a young college kid, it definitely worked!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts