AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I appreciate this question has been asked several times before, but I am trying to seek some more information. I understand that car subwoofer amplifiers run off of 12v from the car battery, and require high amps sustained output for operation. I was then wondering, if I bought a car amplifier and subwoofer, could I power it with something like a MAAS SPS 30 II Ham Radio power supply, which is rated for 30 A @ 9-15V variable or 13.8V continuous?
Could this work?

Cheers,
Josh.

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
Maybe, but why? A car amplifier has to take the low-voltage input and implement an internal power converter to raise the voltage to be useful. Car subs often have low impedance so the voltage does not have to be raised as much (maybe none for some designs), but that is not a complete panacea (cure). Using an AC supply to drive a car amp means starting with high AC voltage, dropping it down and converting to low-voltage DC, only to apply it to an amplifier that is going to convert it back to AC to raise the voltage, then convert to DC again. There is energy loss, typically exhibited as wasted heat, along the whole path. And a whole bunch of extra circuitry. You'd be much better off just buying a decent wall-power amplifier.

And IME car amplifiers and subwoofers are among the most over-spec'd things around. Reputable manufactures there are, but also far too many cheap products with outlandish claims, like a 100 W (or less amp) claiming "1000 W instantaneous peak power", a level attained milliseconds before the thing self-destructs.

An expensive plate subwoofer amp runs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your quick replies,

I was only looking at doing this to give some extra kick to two LG Bookshelf speakers I've hijacked from my mini hifi system, which lacked a subwoofer in the box. They are connected to my rather dated Kenwood KRF-7030D receiver, which has a dedicated LFE out channel, and my computer is outputting DD using DDL from my soundcard over TOSLINK. What subwoofer would you recommend for anything powered, doesn't have to bring down the Albert Hall, just something 100W+ which can make my moderately sized bedroom shake (My neighbours are detached, thankfully).

Thanks in adavance,
Josh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.