AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kenwood KDC-BT555U head unit in my truck and I just bought a Bazooka BT6250D. The installation manual says this:

If the source unit has only speaker outputs, use the high level inputs of the Amplified Bazooka subwoofer. If the source unit has both high and low level outputs, we recommend using the high levels inputs over the low level inputs, due to the configuration of the Amplified Bazooka subwoofers balanced input circuit. Not all head units, even those that promise high output voltage in their marketing materials indeed have high-voltage RCA outputs. Because of this, Bazooka Mobile Audio recommends using the speaker level inputs when in doubt - they will always provide sufficient drive level to the amplifier. Please note that the wiring in a factory stereo may not be electrically in phase even when you have made the proper connections.

In the head unit specs it says (from: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tr5dlAe6Syc/p_113BT555U/Kenwood-KDC-BT555U.html#details-tab )

Sub-Preamp outputs - Yes

Pre-amp voltage: 2.5 volts

So I am assuming that the "high level" output from the head unit is the speaker level output? So, as per the above text it is preferable to ignore the sub-preamp output from the head unit and use the speaker level output instead?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I would try it with the low level sub pre-outs first. Do a mock setup before running the wires and see if the pre-outs are outputting enough voltage to driver your sub amp. If so, run your sub cable and enjoy. If not, you'll need to run speaker wires to your sub then from your sub back to your speakers. Benefits of the pre-outs is that you can adjust the sub output trim from the head unit if you want a little more or less bass temporarily. If you use high level speaker input then your sub will be directly tied to your main volume. To adjust the sub volume relative to the main volume when using the high level inputs you will need to use the gain knob on the sub amplifier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts