1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two JBL GTO 1014D the subwoofers
I have a PPI S850.1 D amplifier running at one 1 ohm

Each sub is 350RMS

I can see the subs move but I just don't feel like sounds coming out.

I hear a lot of bass coming out of my front car speakers and can really feel the air, more than my subs in a ported box

Shouldn't I feel a lot of air coming out of the vent, I play bass boost songs and definitely sound way better with front speakers, I unplugged my subs and they sound the same almost.

I can send video if needed, what's wrong. Maybe it takes some time to break in?

I have a multimeter and the subs are wired to 1.2ohms, my amp has two negative and two positive ports, I just picked one of each, I don't think the subs can be canceling each out, can they?

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
If the sub moves, then there will be air moving in the port. Perhaps it's not moving enough for you to feel much. A video would help.
The bass should be very noticeable. Confirm this checklist.

1. Did you adjust the gain properly? (test tone 50hz and volt meter?)
http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm
Here's and easy method, it's not as accurate but works ok. http://wwv.crutchfield.com/learn/car/subwoofers/tuning.html

2. How is everything hooked up? Like are you using stock head unit? Aftermarket? RCA sub out from HU directly to sub amp? Are you using some kind of converter (DOC?)

3. Did you go through any of your HU's settings? Check to make sure there isn't a Sub on/off or something. Check your High pass/ low pass filters

4. What kind of box are the subs in, like what size, port tuning?...do you have pics?

5. Is there a filter or crossover on your amp? Make sure it's not set to high pass. Perhaps you're subs are not receiving low notes due to something like this.

6 What kind of power wires are you using for your amp? size of wire and type?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Sounds like you have one wired out of phase, or a series parallel wiring issue with a coil on each sub wired out of phase.

Disconnect the speaker wires from the amp.

Take a AA battery and touch the positive wire to the + of the battery and the negative wire to the - of the battery.

Both cones should move out. If the move in, there is a small wiring issue. Just rebook the wires to the amp reverse. If the cones don't move, you are going to need to pull the subs and make sure a coil is not reversed.

Use the battery to check before you terminate the speaker wire at the amp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Right, it seems like there's a phase problem. Though I almost wonder if the ports are blocked somehow?? haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have two JBL GTO 1014D the subwoofers
I have a PPI S850.1 D amplifier running at one 1 ohm

Each sub is 350RMS

I can see the subs move but I just don't feel like sounds coming out.

I hear a lot of bass coming out of my front car speakers and can really feel the air, more than my subs in a ported box

Shouldn't I feel a lot of air coming out of the vent, I play bass boost songs and definitely sound way better with front speakers, I unplugged my subs and they sound the same almost.

I can send video if needed, what's wrong. Maybe it takes some time to break in?

I have a multimeter and the subs are wired to 1.2ohms, my amp has two negative and two positive ports, I just picked one of each, I don't think the subs can be canceling each out, can they?

Thanks
Do they move in the same direction at the same time? even easier check than the battery test (for folks who don't know what they're looking for) :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts