·
Registered
5,000 Posts
i wish the maskingsystem came with the screen. =(

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Hey Brian,

The system draws 1.3 amps and consumes approx. 150 watts when in motion (similar to a window box fan). I suspect any circuit in your home will be fine, but if you're not sure you might want to check with an electrician.

Quote:
i wish the maskingsystem came with the screen. =(

The Masquerade was specifically designed as a stand-alone masking system so that it can be used by customers who already own a projection screen (whether Carada or some other brand). But the system can easily "come with" a screen if you simply order a screen at the same time that you order the Masquerade.

David Giles

Carada, Inc.
www.carada.com

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thanks again David. I made a short jump over from my AV cabinet's 20 amp line to where the bottom right hand corner of the screen will be. I left a junction box there with the wire in it so when the time comes I can directly hardwire the masking system right in.

Just need to get some things finished first and then it's on to the masking system. Hopefully in the spring!

·
Registered
105 Posts
My kids used to like to do Mad Libs on long car rides when they were younger. Here's one (you fill in the blanks): "Fed Ex ____s (verb) a big wet ____ (noun)." My masking frame was supposed to arrive yesterday. The local guys put it on the wrong truck and just drove it around all day - guess they knew i took the day off to wait for it and wouldn't be able to do that today. Of course they should have no problem dumping it off in the rain today:)

Rant over. I expect to put the frame up this weekend. Can anyone tell me exactly how to upload pictures to this thread? i emphasize exactly because i really have no clue and won't be able to manage without a cookbook. I will put up pics as soon as i am finished, assuming i can figure out how to do it.

Thanks,

Noob

·
Registered
542 Posts
I love this idea and I think is speaks highly of a company that makes a product that's used in addition to their exisiting product. I've had an 118" Carada BW for over a year and am always commenting that it's the one piece of my home theatre that won't need to be replaced unless it get damaged. This is a great product that I'll probably add to my system in a few months.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The promo on this states:

all of your movies can now be watched without those often annoying black bars.

All of my movies? Even Casablanca?

·
Premium Member
438 Posts

Quote:
The promo on this states:

all of your movies can now be watched without those often annoying black bars.

All of my movies? Even Casablanca?

We certainly don't say that anywhere on our website (at least I HOPE not!) If we did slip up and print that please let me know and I'll change it ASAP. Obviously this is a two-way horizontal masking system, and it does NOT have side masking, so it clearly can't mask black bars on 4:3 source material.

David Giles

Carada, Inc.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My Masquerade system is now up. Since Mr. Nomas reviewed the system on Audioholics, i'll limit my comments to the following:

It works quickly and quietly -so it does what it's intended to do. It is built with amazing precision and care and looks great on the wall. Everything fit together exactly, with no gaps or overlaps. And compared to its competetion, it's a terrific bargain.

It took me about 1 1/2 hours to put it up, including unpacking and carting the pieces in from the garage. I got the hardwired model and was able to do the basic wiring myself, although i will need my electrician to do the final wiring run to the nearest connection point. [Hamster - I put a switch in the hardwired line so i can disconnect the wiring if needed in the future without having to shut down the entire circuit. If you have a convenient location you might consider this].

I am using SMX AT material for my screen, stretched over a home built frame. It took more time to get my screen exactly flush to the wall and take down the wall mounted left and right speakers which are immediately adjacent to the frame than it did to put up the Masquerade frame.

For those looking for a masking solution that looks professional and truly first class in every way, this is going to be your most economical solution as far as I can see. In addition, working with Carada has probably been the single best experience i've had in DIY home theater. I'm too old to be a fanboy, but you can call me a fanman:)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon V /forum/post/12250553

My Masquerade system is now up. Since Mr. Nomas reviewed the system on Audioholics, i'll limit my comments to the following:

It works quickly and quietly -so it does what it's intended to do. It is built with amazing precision and care and looks great on the wall. Everything fit together exactly, with no gaps or overlaps. And compared to its competetion, it's a terrific bargain.

It took me about 1 1/2 hours to put it up, including unpacking and carting the pieces in from the garage. I got the hardwired model and was able to do the basic wiring myself, although i will need my electrician to do the final wiring run to the nearest connection point. [Hamster - I put a switch in the hardwired line so i can disconnect the wiring if needed in the future without having to shut down the entire circuit. If you have a convenient location you might consider this].

I am using SMX AT material for my screen, stretched over a home built frame. It took more time to get my screen exactly flush to the wall and take down the wall mounted left and right speakers which are immediately adjacent to the frame than it did to put up the Masquerade frame.

For those looking for a masking solution that looks professional and truly first class in every way, this is going to be your most economical solution as far as I can see. In addition, working with Carada has probably been the single best experience i've had in DIY home theater. I'm too old to be a fanboy, but you can call me a fanman:)

Thanks for the comments. I have a few questions: How is it mounted to the wall? How heavy is it? Where on the masking system is it mounted to the wall? Can it be battery powered?

I have a theater with cloth walls (tention mount) with 1 inch deep insulation before the drywall. My current screen is wall mounted with brackets with stratigically placed MDF (wood) for the screen mount at the top of the screen only. Depending on how heavy I could place a 2x4 on the other side of the dry wall but not exactly sure how this will work.

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
I think I will get one and try it out. SOunds like a fun project.So for my 120.5" screen I should get the 118" version? Does that sound about right? Also, do they have a simple one that does not need hard-wired so all I have to do is plug it in and go?

·
Registered
105 Posts
curtis:

The mounting bracket is a thin aluminum strip 84" long and about 1 1/2" high. It has holes every 4". You can position it with at least some of the holes over studs. The bracket holds the top rail and everything else hangs from the top rail. It's the same as for Carada's screens and a full description is probably on their website. The whole thing (for my 100" diagonal 16:9 screen) weighs maybe 40 pounds. I'm sure David will let you know precisely for a given size. I don't think there's a battery powered option but you can order it with a plug and just plug it into the nearest outlet.

My front theater wall has 1" of OC 703 covered with GOM. I put a 2x4 hoizontally above my screen to attach the mounting bracket and a couple of short pieces of 2x4 where the bottom rail rests to keep it the same distance away from the wall. I stapled the GOM to the 2x4 to keep it in place.

Joerod, these things are all built to order so you should just give Carada the outside dimensions of your screen so they can make the mask the right size. I would email them with the specifics - i'm sure they'll get back to you quickly.

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
I just measured around my screen and I have 117" wide by 71" tall (until my center speaker starts) which fits pretty close to the 118" size. I did have my studs turned inward so my screen is recessed back into the wall. Will this be an issue?

Also my screen viewing area is 59" tall by 105" wide. I realize the viewing area of the 118" Masquerade is 57.9" tall by 102.9" wide. I'd only lose about 2inches of screen. If they could custom build one with those dimensions that are in my measured area then great. Here's a pic or two of my wall...

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for all the questions (and answers!)

Jon I'm glad to hear your installation went smoothly and that you're so pleased with the results! And that's great that it only took you an hour and a half to do the entire installation! I honestly figured it would take most customers at least 2 hours or maybe even 3.

Joe the bad news is that it sounds like you won't be able to accommodate the Masquerade system primarily because you don't have enough space around your screen's frame, but also because your screen's frame is too wide (based on what you said in your PM).

The Masquerade fits around the outside of the existing screen-frame (and completely covers it) and the maximum WIDTH screen frame that can properly fit inside the Masquerade is 3.3" which includes the following frames: Carada Criterion Series and Precision Series, Stewart's Luxus screenwall (both the Deluxe and non-deluxe model), Da-Lite's Permwall, DaSnap, and Cinema Contour, Draper's Cineperm and Clarion (but definitely NOT the Onxy) and Vutec's VuEasy and Vision XWF. The Silverstar comes in at least two different frame styles and I'm not sure what they're called or of their dimensions. But in effect, ANY fixed frame screen should work as long as its frame members are no wider than 3.3" AND as long as they protrude from the wall no more than 2.25". Joe in your PM you mentioned that your Silverstar's frame is 3.5" wide so it wouldn't fit properly. Technically we COULD build a Masquerade to fit around a 3.5" wide frame, but the inside edges of the Masquerade frame (i.e. the system's "aperture") would be slightly outside the edges of the screen's viewing surface.

As far as determining the amount of space you need for a Masquerade, as long as your screen's frame is no wider than 3.3" and no deeper than 2.25", then it is actually easier to think in terms of your viewing surface. Once installed, the Masquerade will be larger than your viewing surface by 12.5" in both height and width. So for example if your screen's viewing surface is 59" by 105", then your Masquerade's outside dimensions would be 71.6" x 117.6" (by 3.75" deep). And Joe unfortunately you can't just "lose" viewing surface because your screen's frame would still be in the way. Now if you're willing to take a chainsaw to that Silverstar frame then we might be in business...

Another thing to consider is that you also need some extra space beyond the final installed dimensions. At the top you need 3/4" of clear space because of the way the top structure hooks over the wall bracket (you have to lift the structure 3/4" to clear the lip of the bracket, then lower the structure onto the bracket).

(the photo above was taken with no screen frame in place for the sake of clarity)

And on the sides you need to have a couple inches of clear space in order to slide the side fascia in place (which is the last step in the installation process). So if you wanted to install the Masquerade in the example above, which had outside dimensions of 71.6" x 117.6" your "free" wall space would need to be 72.4" x 121.6", and the top of the system would be 3/4" below the ceiling after installation (of course it can be MORE than 3/4" below your ceiling but 3/4" is the minimum). Technically AFTER you've completed installation of the side fascia, you could put something (like a speaker) directly up against the side of the system, but you would then have to remove that speaker first if you ever needed to take the Masquerade down.

Curtis, as Jon mentioned, the primary mounting structure for the Masquerade is a long wall bracket that you mount behind the top of the system. But you also anchor the system at all four corners (roughly 1" in from the sides and 2" from the top/bottom). So yes you would need to attach the system to your wall at the bottom at each corner. The system requires 120V AC 60 Hz power and the weight depends on the size of course. I'm afraid Jon wouldn't win the "guess my weight" game at the fair.
His 100" diagonal system weighed 81 pounds as installed and the whole crate ready to ship weighed 111.

In the near future we plan to get some nice drawings up on the website that will show all these dimensions and mounting details.

David Giles

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
I guess I am out. I could comply with almost everything. I was wrong on my frame measurement. It is actually 3 1/4" (vutec XWF) and not 3.5 though. I do have just enough to get 1/2"over the top by the ceiling. I mean I am at around 72" tall. So I know I could make that work. Here's the thing though, I do not have any of my screen sticking out at all. It is flush with my wall...

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
Also, upon measuring again I do not have the necessary 121.5" wide to get the sides on. I only have 119"... Oh well, it would have been a fun project. I watch a lot of football and DirecTv anyway so there is a lot of 1.78:1 on my screen anyway. I just was looking to "enhance" my HD DVD and Blu ray titles that are in 2.35:1 and so on... Damn, always something...

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
I'm afraid Jon wouldn't win the "guess my weight" game at the fair. His 100" diagonal system weighed 81 pounds as installed and the whole crate ready to ship weighed 111.

The shipping bill from FedEx said 40#. I was starting to think i need to ratchet up my exercise program:).

Joerod, not trying to spend your money, but when i looked at the Silverstar a couple of years ago, i thought the basic frame was only 1 1/2" wide. Also, isn't it a rigid screen? Seems like you could either get the thinner frame or figure out a way to mount the screen without a frame, if a masking system appeals to you enough to go to that trouble. Since you are width limited, you might end up having to sacrifice a couple of inches of screen width, but it could be worth it to get rid of those annoying bars.

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
My screen is recessed into the wall so its frame does not matter. We are working on a gameplan to "squeeze" one in.
I hope this is worth the effort...

61 - 80 of 614 Posts