AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading 1000 posts and opinions and experiments I am leaning towards a professional screen for my NEC XG 110 C R T.


My budget would be AROUND $600. This eliminates all ultra high gain Silverstar and similar screens.


I would like your experiences and opinions based on the following questions.


TRYG basically says a well done white wall is about 1.0 gain and is equal in quality to a blackout cloth screen.


Following this example - wouldnt a wall or blackout cloth screen also be the same as a cheap Dalite pulldown matte white screen ($150)?


Now - how would a CARADA 1.0 or even 1.4 differ in picture quality?

We are now talking a $600 price difference and I am not at all sure what I would be gaining in performance.


I am perfectly capable of building a nice square professional looking frame and border for a blackout cloth or a raw professional material salvaged from a pull down screen (better sq. ft. prices).


What difference will I see? What am I paying for? Any members move right from a blackoutcloth or a wall to the CARADA? Explain what you have gained or see please.


I am NOT interested in GOO, roller paints, finger paints and magical mirror light fusion alien technology.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Mike,


I had to make the same decision last week--Carada or BO. I went with BO cloth. I can't believe a 1.0 - 1.4 gain professional screen can give more bang-for-the-buck over my $50 DIY.


One factor in my decision was that I currently have an X1 projecting 4:3, but figure I will upgrade to a 16:9 HD PJ down the road. I didn't want to sink much into a screen that would be useless in a couple of years.


I also figured that my screen will be a great baseline for comparing samples against down the road when I consider the next screen.


Finished product looks just like a Carada, with the same velveteen border. I'll be posting some pics on another thread soon of the finished product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Davie Mac
Mike,


I had to make the same decision last week--Carada or BO. I went with BO cloth. I can't believe a 1.0 - 1.4 gain professional screen can give more bang-for-the-buck over my $50 DIY.


One factor in my decision was that I currently have an X1 projecting 4:3, but figure I will upgrade to a 16:9 HD PJ down the road. I didn't want to sink much into a screen that would be useless in a couple of years.


I also figured that my screen will be a great baseline for comparing samples against down the road when I consider the next screen.


Finished product looks just like a Carada, with the same velveteen border. I'll be posting some pics on another thread soon of the finished product.
Yes pics would be great - but the utter lack of posts regarding this subject it looks like even Carada has no answer!

Really torn between DIY and pro - will know more when I get Carada samples.


I am starting to think the satisfaction pro screens owners feel is just a rationalization over having just spent $800-$1500 for pretty BO cloth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I bought 3yds of blackout cloth to make a screen. My projected image is too large to use the 55" wide material without seaming it. So for the time being I painted the wall with American Traditions Ultra Pure White Satin. As it still is my intention to build a screen due to the fact that the wall is rather wavy I placed the BO cloth against the wall to see if there was any difference. Boy was there. The colors were both richer and brighter. I was also suprised to notice the darker scenes had a good deal more detail. I would definitely recommend going this route first as your cost would only be about $40 plus a few hours labor. If it doesn't meet your expectations your only out $40. If it does your ahead $560. Look in your garage and count up the costs of the failed and outdated/upgraded projects of your past and you'll see the risk is well worth the gamble.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Doon1
I bought 3yds of blackout cloth to make a screen. My projected image is too large to use the 55" wide material without seaming it. So for the time being I painted the wall with American Traditions Ultra Pure White Satin. As it still is my intention to build a screen due to the fact that the wall is rather wavy I placed the BO cloth against the wall to see if there was any difference. Boy was there. The colors were both richer and brighter. I was also suprised to notice the darker scenes had a good deal more detail. I would definitely recommend going this route first as your cost would only be about $40 plus a few hours labor. If it doesn't meet your expectations your only out $40. If it does your ahead $560. Look in your garage and count up the costs of the failed and outdated/upgraded projects of your past and you'll see the risk is well worth the gamble.

John
Not sure whats on your wall - but the overall opinion of this forum is that BO cloth is NO different than a wall. No improvement vs. a smooth wall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
It may be fact that the wall was roller painted with a very fine sponge roller commonly use to apply polyurethane and not sanded smooth afterward. I also did a 75/25 mix with Flowtrol to keep it as smooth as possible. That being said there is still some texture to it. Maybe one of the light refraction guru's could explain why the cloth was a noticeable improvement, I can't. What I can say is that it was. I returned the cloth when I realized I wasn't going to use it or I would post a pic.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Doon1
It may be fact that the wall was roller painted with a very fine sponge roller commonly use to apply polyurethane and not sanded smooth afterward. I also did a 75/25 mix with Flowtrol to keep it as smooth as possible. That being said there is still some texture to it. Maybe one of the light refraction guru's could explain why the cloth was a noticeable improvement, I can't. What I can say is that it was. I returned the cloth when I realized I wasn't going to use it or I would post a pic.

John
Some of those blackout products may have a slight sheen on one side - this may have added to the apparent gain - but would normally cause hotspotting.


Keep in mind I have never seen some up close - I have decided PARKLAND plastic sheet is the absolute way to go for DIY.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
I've placed samples from Carada, Stewart, and DaLite against my Parkland and for all of the samples around a gain of 1 (up to 1.4) I could see no difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am nearly convinced based on hundreds of posts....


Parkland DIY rivals screens 10x the price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mskreis
I've placed samples from Carada, Stewart, and DaLite against my Parkland and for all of the samples around a gain of 1 (up to 1.4) I could see no difference.
Did you try both the Carada 1.4 and 1.0? I have big samples of both and they definitely look different from each other, so I don't see how you could see no difference from your Parklands to both. Were you dealing with tiny samples?


--Darin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doon1
It may be fact that the wall was roller painted with a very fine sponge roller commonly use to apply polyurethane and not sanded smooth afterward. I also did a 75/25 mix with Flowtrol to keep it as smooth as possible. That being said there is still some texture to it. Maybe one of the light refraction guru's could explain why the cloth was a noticeable improvement, I can't. What I can say is that it was. I returned the cloth when I realized I wasn't going to use it or I would post a pic.

John
Thanks for your comments, John, but I am completely confused! First you wrote "the cloth was a noticable improvement" and then you wrote "I returned the cloth when I realized I wasn't going to use it.."


Which displayed the better picture you described -- the wall or the blackout cloth?


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
I have the carada 1.0 gain screen, and pitted it against dalite (hcdm, hccv) and stewart (fire/grey hawks) and there was noticable difference there...with MY FP, the carada won all 5 of our hands...can something be built simular to it...probably...I mean, he found a way to build it...but some of us aren't the greatest with mitring etc...and for the cost, and quality/looks, it is a great screen. highly recommended and the more power to ya if you can recreate it....I'm not willing to take the time to do it, and for a meer 500-700 bucks shipped, its well worth the purchase...we spend 2-12 k on FP's and always look for a way to save on the screen...I did save (over dalite and stewart) and I'm more than happy about it:) thoughts--> if ya can build it and are happy, do it! :) If you can't at least there is someone out there with the tools and knowledge at a reasonable price to help ya out...win/win situation .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by darinp2
Did you try both the Carada 1.4 and 1.0? I have big samples of both and they definitely look different from each other, so I don't see how you could see no difference from your Parklands to both. Were you dealing with tiny samples?


--Darin
I agree that the samples cleary look different (my samples are about 8" x8"). But when individually taped to my Parkland I did not really appreciate any difference. I clearly saw a difference when I tried the Hi Power but was distracted by the change in gain as I moved small distances laterally on my couch. I also clearly see differences with the Firehawk and the Carada grey material.


I was hoping to see a difference as I've read good things about the Carada and was ready to buy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Further,

I chose not to use the BO cloth because my 4:3 screen size is 97"x73" and the largest width of BO is 55", which would mean a seam. And a seam would be unacceptable. I did find a very tightly woven cotton drop cloth that measures 10'x15'. The thread and fabric is comparable to the BO but it's unbleached so I'll have to paint it.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
John,


Quote:

"Further, I chose not to use the BO cloth because my 4:3 screen size is 97"x73" and the largest width of BO is 55", which would mean a seam. And a seam would be unacceptable. I did find a very tightly woven cotton drop cloth that measures 10'x15'. The thread and fabric is comparable to the BO but it's unbleached so I'll have to paint it.

John"



If you want to have a matte white finish similar to what the blackout cloth is many people recommend the Behr Ultra Pure White paint in either flat or eggshell finish. The egshell finish will give a slightly higher gain.


Rick
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top