AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
How did I miss this thread from a fellow Charlottean???!!!! Great progress so far - keep it up!

If you have no further use for the remaining Linacoustic, I'm in the market.
Thank you TMcg. My journey started in Charlotte when I built my 1099 speakers. I have since moved to a new home just south of the border into South Carolina.

I do not know how much Linacoustic is left. I bought @24Changer's leftovers and have probably used about half of what he gave me. I want to extend an AC return box, so I may still need a little more, but I will keep you in mind. I will PM you.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Subscribed.

I like your design, especially the the top of the stairs wall and side entrance. Looking forward to see how this turns out.

And to heck with soundproofing!
Thanks Box, and welcome! The room is not exactly how I would have wanted, but I think having the side entrance will give it some character that I would not have been creative enough to incorporate otherwise.

Re: soundproofing, I am hoping I will be okay. I watched a few test movies before the entry wall was up and could barely hear the sound on the floor below (where all of the bedrooms are located). I imagine it will be even better once the entry wall is completed.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Thanks Box, and welcome! The room is not exactly how I would have wanted, but I think having the side entrance will give it some character that I would not have been creative enough to incorporate otherwise.

Re: soundproofing, I am hoping I will be okay. I watched a few test movies before the entry wall was up and could barely hear the sound on the floor below (where all of the bedrooms are located). I imagine it will be even better once the entry wall is completed.

It's always fun to see how people work with less than ideal rooms. Something like the dark star theater by @mattowpe is a good example and one of my favorite transformations.

I'm curious, what did you use to draw your floor plan?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's always fun to see how people work with less than ideal rooms. Something like the dark star theater by @mattowpe is a good example and one of my favorite transformations.

I'm curious, what did you use to draw your floor plan?
The dark star theater is awesome.

For the floor plan shown I used Adobe Illustrator (the paid application version, not the cloud version). I created the original version of this floor plan on my iPad in a program called Inkpad, which is more conducive to late night theater planning sessions in bed. It's also only $2 :)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Looking good so far! You have made a lot of progress since last time I was at your house. Keep it up!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I like the festool dust collector. You must be part of the master race.
Ah, yes, my Festool dust extractor. I have an older model Dewalt contractor table saw that would only cut 16" wide cuts... difficult for building subs. I also had a Dewalt skill saw that broke down early in my build. So, rather than buying new models of each I decided to apply those funds towards a Festool track saw. I did not initially buy the dust extractor (cost), but I eventually broke down. What a great combo. It is great being able to cut material right in the room.

So, "master race," no, but "master dust extraction race," yes. Maybe if I start displaying the track saw and dust extractor prominently in each of my pictures I can get Festool to sponsor some of my future tool purchases.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My son is always asking to help with the theater build, so it's always nice to find something that he can help with that won't cause the loss of limbs.

My Seymour AV material was not really attached to the screen frame before, outside of about 4 screws. I finally took the time to attach it today. I had ordered just the material from Seymour in an attempt to save some money. I then punched holes around the perimeter and added grommets. I then looped o-rings through the holes and attached each to the wood frame with short screws. I was a little reticent about how it would come out, especially since I had kind of abused the material by folding it over once or twice while moving it around. Fortunately it came out pretty well. There is a very very slight wrinkle in the upper left-hand portion of the screen, but I should be able to fix that by adjusting the screw in that location.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Go ahead and throw it up....you can enjoy movies with 3.1 while you are building everything else. :) Are you painting your ceilings and walls black or going dark by the way?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
A few days ago I was moving my projector from one side of the room to the other and somehow it managed to slip through my fingers. It was not a really far drop, but it must have knocked something internal loose because now the focus mechanism does not work. I called Panasonic and they want $130 + s/h just to look at it. Ughh. That's a lot of money considering that I have barely even used the projector.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I wouldn't have minded progress grinding to a halt if I could watch a movie with my projector, lol. I have an old 720p spare projector that I may try to use in the meantime. There must be an expression about tempting fate twice... other than the definition of someone who tries the same thing multiple times and expecting different results.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Ah, yes, my Festool dust extractor. I have an older model Dewalt contractor table saw that would only cut 16" wide cuts... difficult for building subs. I also had a Dewalt skill saw that broke down early in my build. So, rather than buying new models of each I decided to apply those funds towards a Festool track saw. I did not initially buy the dust extractor (cost), but I eventually broke down. What a great combo. It is great being able to cut material right in the room.

So, "master race," no, but "master dust extraction race," yes. Maybe if I start displaying the track saw and dust extractor prominently in each of my pictures I can get Festool to sponsor some of my future tool purchases.
Sounds like a plan.

Push them for a discount or a loaner sample of that MTF table to accompany them and then you'll actually be able to replace your table saw.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
A few days ago I was moving my projector from one side of the room to the other and somehow it managed to slip through my fingers. It was not a really far drop, but it must have knocked something internal loose because now the focus mechanism does not work. I called Panasonic and they want $130 + s/h just to look at it. Ughh. That's a lot of money considering that I have barely even used the projector.
So did you ship your projector in to Panasonic for evaluation? What did they say? You're looking very close to ordering carpet in these last photos!!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
while its been sent in you can actually work on the room. That way the projector comes back home to a nice complete dark room! :) Any other progress with pics?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
@Robert Jones II Its been a while (3 months) since you have posted on here. Any new updates to your theater?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts