AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the deal with this old musical? I realize its shot in what was called Cinnemascope 55 but why do I get such an exaggerated stretch on my Toshiba 65HX81. I actually measured and came up with these figures. First of all, going back to basic math and the "P" theort, a 65/16:9 set actually measures almost 57inches wide. When I go to the Full mode , I get a picture 18x57/or 3.16AR. In the Theater 1 Mode, 20x57/or 2.85AR.. Theater 2 gives me 24x57/or 2.38 and , finally Theater 3 yields 21x57/or2:71 which I believe is the closest to the intended ratio. The Disc says only 2:55x1. Accounting for overscan, I am still a little off, but Mode 2 and 3 are close. My question really has to do with why my full setting has such a wide stretch. Its been my understanding that this is the proper mode/ or is it only for annamorphic ones only.. Any ideas??

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Off the top of my head it sounds like you are running a 16:9 resolution and leaving the non-anamorphic video unscaled. Or at least not vertically stretched by 33% to acheive the correct geometry. So it looks squished. I know zip about your hardware. If this becomes a hardware issue, I will move it to the DVD and LD Hardware Forum.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Larry: Im using a Toshiba 65HX81 TV, a Toshiba 5700 progressive scan DVD player connected directly to one of the colorstream inputs)component) with a cable from cinemaquest. By the way, the poll I Was going to post was for those Toshiba owners to select which Theater Mode they would chose for DVD Dislay/full/T1/T2/T3! Thats for any help!:)

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I use Full for 1.85 anamorphic and TheaterWide 3 for 2.35 anamorphic movies.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Full for anamorphic...

TW2 for letterbox

TW1 for 4:3

Why would you abuse the OAR of an anamorphic title with a TW mode?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the disc is NOT anamorphic, should I ever use FULL MODE. Isnt Full for ONLY anamorphic transfers, when viewing DVDs?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If we're talking about the movie Carousel that was released on DVD back on 04/27/99 then this is indeed a non-anamorphic letterbox DVD with an aspect ratio of 2.55:1.

Looks to me like you would use TW2 mode in the case of a non-anamorphic letterbox DVD. Indeed mode TW2 with a small amount of overscan will reveal an image that is more like your finding of 2.38:1.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks DMAN! You are DMAN as this is the answer I was looking for as I could not understand what I saw on the screen. I meam, Ben Hur didnt have a strech like this.. It looked like Cinarama/3 to1 or something. Thats again for your help!

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
4:3, 4:3 wide or 4:3/16X9 what DVP are you getting TW 2 off of just curious. I have 2 Sony DVP Mega Changers, I have them both set up for door # 3 4:3/16X9. In the manual the first 2 look exactly alike only the 16 X 9 looks different, these guys a bit dumb or blind, when they came up with the first 2 formats, what gives Dman? :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
hob,

The TW2 setting is on Fishman's 16:9 Toshiba television.

The setting you are discussing is in your Sony DVD player's setup menu. These options are usually as follows...

4:3 This is the setting for 4:3 televisions, so it may downconvert anamorphic DVDs to display properly on 4:3 televisions.

4:3 Wide/P&S This the setting again for 4:3 televisions for those widescreen movies that offer P&S "on the fly" which is a feature that hasn't been used on DVD thus far. This will result in looking identical to the firt 4:3 option.

16:9 This is the setting for 16:9 televisions as it displays the entire anamorphic 16:9 frame.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I can't quite recall right now if Carousel was shot in Todd-AO 70mm and CinemaScope 55 -a short lived format- (help me here, Vern!), but was definitely shot in CinemaScope.

The DVD, done from the LD transfer -like Oklahoma!- was letterboxed and did not receive the anomorphic enhancement treatment. DMAN is correct...

-THTS

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Carousel was originally scheduled to be shot in both 55mm and 35mm. The labs perfected the optical reduction process from 55mm to 35mm shortly after shooting starting and the 35mm shooting was discontinued.

There was no 70mm involved.

Vern

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.