AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I experienced a minor flood in my HT last week with the Hurricane and thunderstorms earlier in the week. Thankfully, no equipment was touched. I did have to get rid of my old carpet and will use this as an excuse to repaint and recarpet the HT :) This is all of course after I have my basement waterproofed.

What colors would someone suggest for the walls and carpet to go with a DaLite HCCV / AE500 setup in my theater? I realize the wife acceptance factor will come into this, but any suggestions?

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
James,

What colors are in the rest of your house?

What color is your furniture in the HT?

What is the current color of the HT?

:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pam,

Currently there are creme walls in the House/HT. I am willing to change them for better performance from a FP. The carpet was a creme type of Berber, but it is gone now. Right now, I have a choice between deep blue sofa / chair or forest green sofa / chair.

James

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've just finished the basement and painted all walls a dark red / burgendy colour together with dark blue carpet and white trim. Also got white ceiling tiles (inspector insisted they were fire rated and could not find any black ones). I've covered the front row of the tiles with a black cloth.

Ed

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
James,

Does your wife prefer the green or the blue? Either would go with burgundy on the walls. How about deep charcoal gray for the carpet? A possibility with the blue, but maybe not with the green. If you have the green furniture with burgundy walls, you could go with a deep camel carpet, or even a plaid carpet with all those colors! I have even seen a paisley carpet!

Bottom line, it's all about your preferences - the darker you go, the better you'll see the FP. (For the record, once those lights dim to zero, any deep color turns black.) My theater has a dark purple ceiling, and it goes to black.

Browse through magazines - not just HT, but designer types. Go to a wallpaper store to see what colors they put together (not to look at wallpaper, just to see color combinations - my husband makes me do this one by myself!). Also check out fabric stores - not the Joanns of the world, but true decorator fabric stores. Again, see what they are putting together color-wise. Finally, check out the gallery here at AVS forum. There are a lot of incredible theaters with terrific color combinations. Do your homework and you will be happy and satisfied.

Sorry about the water damage! Good luck on your project! :D

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Ideally EVERYTHING should be non reflective flat black. Anything else is a compromise on ultimate picture quality. Life does indeed require some compromises sometimes. I did a black ceiling grid with black fire rated tiles. My projector is a ceiling mounted CRT. My walls are a dark charcoal gray with a black pattern (Guilford Terra de Fuego). My compromise is a dark navy blue carpet that matches my navy blue chairs. A little mahogeny trim warms things up a bit (chair rails and floor moulding). Exterior French doors are painted black on the interior and the glass is completely blocked by black Hunter Douglass blackout shades. Interior doors are mahogeny but are mostly covered by absorptive acoustical panels in the Gulford cloth. Wall sconces are painted black.

This is a serious sport.

·
Wireless member
27,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mark haflich
Ideally EVERYTHING should be non reflective flat black. Anything else is a compromise on ultimate picture quality. Life does indeed require some compromises sometimes. I did a black ceiling grid with black fire rated tiles. My projector is a ceiling mounted CRT. My walls are a dark charcoal gray with a black pattern (Guilford Terra de Fuego). My compromise is a dark navy blue carpet that matches my navy blue chairs. A little mahogeny trim warms things up a bit (chair rails and floor moulding). Exterior French doors are painted black on the interior and the glass is completely blocked by black Hunter Douglass blackout shades. Interior doors are mahogeny but are mostly covered by absorptive acoustical panels in the Gulford cloth. Wall sconces are painted black.

This is a serious sport.
Ditto on the "compromises" part. It is possible to get flat paint in very dark colors that, for all purposes are "black" when the lights are low or off, but yet have some color and visual interest when lights are up. I did our ceiling in "Pleiades" (deep, dark blue) and walls in "Burnt Plum" (self-explanatory) and have very close to zero light reflection when viewing, but doesn't look like a crypt under regular lighting.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
There was a nice long thread in the HT General area about colors-A search should bring it up.

Ron

PS: Dark carpeting makes a big difference in screen contrast. We went from tan to black and I was pleased with the results.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All,

I appreciate all the comments on this subject. Thanks.

James

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Nice thread guys. Hard to photograph a dark colored room. I will attempt some photos when the room is finished. A weekend more electrical work and then about 1 week to finish the ceiling grid and to mount the second row of chairs. I have seen many theaters done in light colors. Really looks sharp but doesn't past muster as a top quality HT. Dark flat colors are good. Black on floor and ceiling near screen is best. There really are ways to lighten a black room. We use mahogeny trim, yellow rope lights on stairs, isles, and risers. We use clear rope lighting around perimeter of screen and under lip of stage under the screen. This draws attention to the screen when you come into the room. These lights are shut off as the movie starts.

·
Wireless member
27,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mark haflich
. . . We use mahogeny trim, yellow rope lights on stairs, isles, and risers. We use clear rope lighting around perimeter of screen and under lip of stage under the screen. This draws attention to the screen when you come into the room. These lights are shut off as the movie starts.
OMG, I can almost smell the popcorn!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.