AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case I have any water leaking into my basement (I already did some work to prevent this, but you never know when you are below grade) I want to be able to pull the carpet up to facilitate drying. What options are their for attaching carpet to concrete, I have read that Glue is usual, but I do not like that option at all.

Any ideas.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I'm planning on going with the standard tack strips and stretching...It costs a bit more for an installer to secure the strips to concrete, but I don't like the idea of gluing either.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Around here (Minnesota) the typical installation for a concrete floor would be the normal tack strips around the edge and then stretched into place. Obviously, if you really do need to lift it up in the future, for drying, you'll have to get it re-installed. BTW, many homeowners policies recommend replacing the carpet if has been wet more than a day or two.

How likely is it really to leak in? Or is this just preparation for the worst? If you're prone to seepage through the walls from ground water, then it's rational to keep in mind. But, if you're worried about a pipe burst or some major mechanical failure, remember that could happen anywhere in your house.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I suggest building a subfloor. That raises the floor a few inches to keep the floor above an occassional puddle. If you put floor joists directly on the concrete, then use pressure treated lumber. If you want to limit sound transmission you could use U-shaped pieces of rubber to float the floor. Those also help keep the wood away from the potential damp floor. See www.acoustics101.com for ideas.

If you really expect a bad water problem, install a sump pump and consider putting down a large rubber sheet beneath the subfloor or carpet, and extend it upward a few inches behind the wall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.