AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a couple of threads dealing with carpet over concrete for a lower level, but none really deal with the issue of how it affects sound.

I'll have a 15x18 foot room in a lower level. One wall will be partially concrete and the floor will be as well.

I've heard that concrete floors can really mess with sound.

So my question is - how much carpet do I need to help with sound issues? I'm on a budget, and my desire is to do something very cheap - either no pad at all or a very cheap pad.

One day I'll upgrade, but for now I just want some floor covering. How much is necessary for sound purposes?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Carpet will only help with the acoustics. A decent pad really isn't all that much more expensive. You may be looking at the difference of $50 between a crap pad and a something decent.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I wouldn't recommend going the 'no pad' route.

The floor will seem colder, less comfortable, and the carpet will wear faster. A good pad is definitely worth the extra (and it usually isn't much).

·
Registered
57 Posts
I haven't dealt with carpet myself but for the cheap rout you can give installing some foam backed "cheapo" carpet you can get at Menards, some stuff that looks nice but still is fairly cheap runs like $.80-$1.something a square foot.I would read up on how to install it yourself first ,not much online that i have found that deals with the foam backed stuff but from the few places I did find info on it it's a "moderate difficult" job but not too bad for first timers.

Depending on how my project turns out I may go that route (basically if it doesn't turn out as hoped I may forgo professional carpet install,..the whole polishing a turd thing ya know,haha)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just a few notes about carpet in general, the better the pad the longer the carpet will last. A really cheap pad can be the difference between 1-2 years of good looks and 5-10 years of good looks. If your just looking to get by for a year or two, do as the others mentioned try looking into carpet remnants at a local store. These are usually chepaer than buying or ordering new and can get you by. As far as installation the most inportant thing is getting a good stretch on the carpet. A good pad and properly strectched carpet will allow the carpet to wear much longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts