AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an installer coming out to take measurements and give me evil looks for the funky configuration I am throwing at them.... I wanted to know if you laid a pad under the carpet on the stage or just carpet. My hunch would be to skip the pad as I would rather have my spikes on the speaker stands and sub couple to the wood rather than float on the pad.

Any input would be great!

I am nearly ready for paint! I am sooooo looking forward to no more mudding and sanding!!!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No takers? I could really use a bit of your expertise and experience on this one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
E,

I'm no expert,but i did pad under my riser,i have to say the sound in my room is awesome:)WAY WAY better then any movie theater iv ever been in.

id even say better then any regular living room set up with 100,000 in gear:)...the one thing that always bothered me about HT is the center channel at times was not real clear(hard to understand or hear)now forget it,the center is super clear and perfect.....

I'm rambling.a bit excited i guess....sorry:D

wait for other opinions,but for carpet+pad on the riser...

ts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I had a pad under mine as well.

I'm not sure it will make much difference acoustically (although, if your sub fire's down maybe it does).

I think the issue may be the way the carpet lays. If you don't have a pad, it might not lay quite properly due to the tack strip around the edge but nothing underneath the main field of carpet.

Your installer, I'm sure will know more. That's just the first thought I had.

Good luck with your room.

·
Registered
935 Posts
My carpet was installed today. I received the same evil look from the installer. I put padding under my riser but did not have padding installed on my stage (proscenium). What a difference the carpeting makes to the sound. I thought I'd need some diffusors before the carpet was laid. No way...it sounds magnificent....sorry....just very happy!

Bomber

·
Registered
283 Posts
E. Martin, I had pad installed on my stage as well as my 2nd row riser.....I definitely thinks it helps dampen any sound vibrations or hollow ringing that may have a tendency to occur. Pad is very cheap, adds a nice feel when stood on and the rest of your carpet is padded........I hope........then why would you eliminate or cut it out here?????????

Don't go through the expense of creating a HT and short cut some of the most affordable or basic things.....You defeat your end goal which should be big, clear, quality audio and video. Right??!!

Just my $.02

Brett

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Okay, but the question is really which is better:

(1) The increased dampening of having the pad

-or-

(2) The better coupleing of the speakers to the stage

I personally would opt for option 2 (provided the stage has had adequate preparations [aka filled with sand] to eliminate the "hollow ringing" or resonating), for two reasons.

(1) There would be an unquestionable improvment in speaker dynamics and response time since the speakers will not be moving around (floating) on top of a pad. The explaination for why this is is probably better left to the "audio and hi-fi-" forum.

(2) If you need extra dampening in the room, you can acheive much better results by using acoustic treatments designed to target the problem areas.

Kirk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Kirk, point well taken, but my mains weigh in at over 90 lbs each and the spikes go right through the carpet and pad with no problem.

I guess it depends on construction inside the cavity and the weight of the speakers and the type of spikes, or how sharp/pointed they are.........Lots of variables to debate here. I would still put the pad down regardless, for aesthetic, comfort and what minimal noise/dampeneing it may provide......especially in a 2nd row riser scenario.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all....

The stage is built like a tank and is also sand filled. I drug over 3/4 ton of sand down the stairs that weekend (Back will never let me forget that).

So... The stage is SOLID and speakers are JMLab monitors aka "bookshelf" on stands. The sub is a dual 12 M&K (one firing forward the other down). Both the sub and the stands have spikes. My concern was never cost of pad. The concern was more long term, cost of design (do it right and have no regrets). The carpet is WAY more than I wanted to spend but it is beautiful. The rest of the room will definitely get padding (including the riser). All that will not be padded is two small 8 inch strips where the chairs will be secured to the floor/riser. I figured I would not pad in those locations as it would "pucker" the carpet went the seats got bolted to the floor and compressed the pad (if it had laid there).

One point that I am glad was brought up (hadn't thought of it) was the tack strips showing irregularities in the carpet if a pad is not used. Perhaps I will go with a much thinner, but denser, pad for the stage as it will be easier to push the spikes through to couple them to the floor and it takes the irregularities out of the tack strip scenario....

Any feedback about a different thickness of pad on the stage?

Thanks again!

I have left many things undone on the stage and riser so that the installer and I can agree what would work/look best after installation. They know what they like to work with and I know what I want. IF I can do things just a bit different to make their installation easier it will just look better in the end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.