AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be moving into a new house soon and I will have my HT in a room in the basement. I would like to tear up the carpeting that is there right now and put inn some new carpeting. I was wondering if there would be any type of carpeting padding that is recommended for HT that will be on a concrete floor?

· Registered
103 Posts
I don't know about "recommended" padding for home theater. I've never read anything about a specific padding that should be used in an A/V environment. I did work with carpeting for twenty-five years as a sideline. I certainly wouldn't use any of the cheaper foam padding that feels great when first installed but loses its resiliency in, what I consider, a relatively short time. There are some expensive foams made by Dupont and perhaps some others that stand up very well, but, IMP, aren't worth the extra cost. I have 5/8" 6lb rebond that stands up nearly as well as the exotic foams. There are some cheap, flimsy, light weight rebonds that aren't any better than the low grade foams so you have to do some comparison shopping. There are quality products in a variety of thicknesses. You may have to match carpet and pad that will result in a total depth that saves having to cut off doors.

· Registered
2,205 Posts
This pdf gives the results of testing various carpet and pad types for noise reduction. Pads have an impact, so to speak. Take time to read through it to get background in the type of noise and the meaning of the Noise Reduction Coefficient. NRC measurement is too some extent a lab value and not an absolute real world measure.

http://www.carpet-rug.com/technical_...cteristics.pdf

· Registered
2,205 Posts
Yes, sometimes bigger is better.

· Registered
72 Posts
speters- I thought you might be interested in a couple carpet pads this company offers. I installed the premium carpet pad in my theater room which is upstairs to help with sound transmission. I would assume this would be good for basements also. Give them a call and speak with Jody or Bob they will be able to help you.

I don't have 5 post so I couldn't post the link but the company is called Sound Isolation company so you can find it if you google it.

· Registered
7,343 Posts
My carpeting is being installed Monday 1-26-09 in the Home Theatre.

40oz carpeting with the extra heavweight pad.

My dealer recommend the pad have the rubber coating so spills don't soak in.

I remember reading about acoustic degradition of that and this thread gave me that info (again).

a) Am I being "overly anal" by getting the pad w/o the rubber coating for acoustical reasons over pratical/real world reasons?

Not clear how much "less" absorption by having the rubber coating.

Yea, I can always do more side wall/other absorption, just trying to cover the bases by asking the Q here.

Quote:
Observations: A-3

1. For acoustical purposes, permeability was the most critical construction factor. The

more permeable hair, hair-jute, and foam rubber cushions tend to produce higher

NRCs than the less permeable, rubber-coated, hair-jute and sponger rubber

cushions, weight for weight.

· Registered
3,258 Posts
Pretty much all carpets have good high frequency absorption. But overall thickness, including an underpad which is a good porous absorber, will significantly increase absorption and can extend this absorption further down into the middle frequency range.

Such porous underpads are made of fiber, either natural (jute, hair), or synthetic (polyester, acrylics, etc.). But foam and sponge rubber are not good sound acoustic absorbers, and won't have the same acoustical effect.

Regards,

Terry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.