AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering doing the carpeting myself if the carpet comes in large enough rolls that I wouldn’t have to do a seam. Only 2 areas to do one 11' 8" x 7' 2" or so area and a 11'8" X 10' or so.

Anyone that has looked at carpeting do you know if it comes in rolls wide enough? I know the carpet has to be strecthed. 1 Area would be on the riser and a second on the cement floor, but I saw that you can buy underlyment boards to install the carpeting right over.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
156 Posts
Most carpet comes in 12' rolls.

I also high suggest having it done professionally. I did everything in my basement, electrical, plumbing, framing, drywall, mudding/taping, hanging ceiling, a small area of ceramic tile, and even the decorating with paints. The one thing I am glad I didn't do is the carpet.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
We did the same as Chris - except we also paid an electrician. On the other hand, carpet can be found in 15 foot widths - but there aren't a lot of them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Carpet comes 6. 12, 13.5, and 15 feet wide. 90 percent of what is sold is 12 wide so that is where most of the color options are. Carpet can be installed directly over a concrete substrate without underlayment unless you have a Purpose to do so. The difficulty with concrete is mainly fastening the tackstrips to the floor.. You would probably be best using a pro. By the time you rented the tools and figured in the aggravation factor you will wish you did not do it. It is hard work in positions your body is not use to being in. I did it for 10 years- dont miss it a bit.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just had my carpet put in 2 hours ago... watched those guys work, like anything its not impossible to do but it took the installers 2 hours to finish my 11x20 basement room. I can imagine if I was doing it, I probably take 6 hours, aching back, knee...go to home depot for some tools. etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.