AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a pair of Carver Amazing Planar speakers. My pair started out as the original Amazings (round woofers and split ribbons) but when the Platinum version came out, I upgraded them to that level. The upgrade consisted of a complete driver and crossover swap - everything but the panel.

I eventually regretted the upgrade as one speaker became unreliable. Currently, they're sitting in a back room collecting dust. What would happen is that the ribbon would stop outputting sound. The woofers were never a problem. Carver support (this was many years ago) suggested disconnecting the crossover from the drivers and driving them directly. I did this; both woofer and ribbon produced sound. Carver then sent me a replacement crossover (eventually, two) and ribbon, all of which worked initially but then the original problem returned. After more fussing and fuming, I simply gave up and purchased a pair of Legacy Focus, which I am completely satisfied with and still use.

I would like to get my Carvers operational again. Soon after I bought my Legacy Focus, I sold my surround speaker system. I intended to go to an all-Legacy system but because of the cost and a suddenly volatile job situation, I never did. I have since gone without. I am thinking that the Carvers might make good rear speakers; anyway, I own them and they will have to do right now.

I have a couple questions before I begin messing around with them again. When Carver sent a replacement ribbon, they would do so only if I returned the little circuit board attached to the bottom of the ribbon driver (this connected the ribbon driver with the crossover - the board was bolted to the ribbon and two wires extended from the board to the crossover). So now I have a spare ribbon driver - which may or may not work - without the little circuit board. When I removed the board, I noticed some sticky stuff on it. I don't know if this was supposed to be there, but I never tried cleaning it off to see if this was somehow making a poor connection. Anyone know about Carver ribbons? Did this sticky stuff serve a purpose?

I have also considered bi-amping. I know people have done this with Carver planars, but it is not simply a matter of adding an electronic crossover and another amp as the Carver ribbon was equalized in the crossover and this equalization would need to be duplicated. Several years ago, a company - my memory is fuzzy here - called Clearwater Engineering (I'm pretty certain that it was called Clear something, but it may not be Clearwater) offered an electronic crossover made specifically for the Carvers that included the necessary equalization. Anyone know anything about this company? Does it still exist? A Google search on Clearwater turned up nothing, so either I have the name wrong, they don't have a web site, or they don't exist anymore (probably all three).

To tell the truth, I don't believe the ribbon itself was ever faulty and I'm somehow skeptical that the crossover was either, but I am less certain about this. I am looking for a course of action. Anyone familiar with Carver planar speakers have any suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Try contacting these people at www.carveraudio.com

They seem to know what they are doing with respect to the Amazing speakers. I think Carver at one point was referring people to them for repair work.

On your topic of using them as rear surrounds, I can't imagine the placement nightmares to get them sounding right. I've heard a set of Silvers before and knew they were pretty tempermental with room position with the open panel construction of the speakers.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WonHung
Try contacting these people at www.carveraudio.com

They seem to know what they are doing with respect to the Amazing speakers. I think Carver at one point was referring people to them for repair work.
Carver went under a couple of years after the began marketing themselves through Circuit City (the "Post-Bob Carver" era, of course). When they went under, these guys bought the rights to the company name, and attempted to keep up the esteemed carver brand name. As far as I know, they're still handling the service end for the speakers out there. But their website says they're about to release a new version of the ALs, but don't be fooled, their web site hasn't changed in a couple of years.

As for using the Carvers for rears with the focus's, that'll be a challenge. You'll be putting some extremely efficient speakers on the market in the Focuses up front (96 db sensitivity), with some of the least sensitive, most power hungry speakers I've ever heard in the rear (~85 db, if I'm not mistaken?). Then, figure in the Focuses are 4 ohms while the Carvers are 6 ohms, there's a huge discrepency on how those speakers will play. You'll have a very, very challenging time getting those Carvers to play without absolutely being drowned out by the Legacy's. In theory, you'll need about 10X more amplification on the Carvers to make up the difference in sensitivity alone. I'd recommend, assuming you get those Carvers working, selling them and getting something that's not so demanding and power hungry to get them going. I'm not saying it can't be done, but those Carvers are tough to drive and set up to get them sounding right on their own, much less trying to get them to blend in with something like the Focuses.

·
Banned
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, Jehr. The original Amazings were rated at 82 db/watt; the Platinum's, which are what mine are supposed to be now equivalent to, are 88 db/watt. A little more than 85 db, but not a lot. I have found that the Legacy's, although above average in efficency, are not quite as efficent as advertised. And, considering that the Legacy's are 15' from my listening position, would rear speakers need to be as efficient? Anyway, there are other practical considerations that will probably prevent my proposed usage (like, the room just isn't big enough to support two large sets of speakers).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.