AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why don't they or do they make a coupler so you can plug in your speaker wire for pre-outs?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Carver used to make a device called the Z1 "Z Coupler" that is exactly what you describe. It has high and low level speaker inputs and RCA outs. You can find them from time to time on eBay. There are also car audio companies that make a similar device. The Carver is a small box for home use.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to have one.

How would that type of connection compare to a receiver with pre-outs?

If everything else were the same and you used 3 couplers instead of the pre-outs on your receiver would the sound be the same or would there be alot more distortion?

·
Registered
585 Posts
It basically does the same thing a sub's speaker level input does. I used one a long time ago and it worked well given the shortcomings of the system. I'm sure it wasn't the bottleneck but the system it was used in wasn't very revealing so it's hard to say. Figure $50 each for a new variant or used Carver Z Coupler, it may be better to get a used pre-pro or new receiver.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at the new Denon's but it sounds like the 2809 will be the only one with pre-outs. I was wondering if there were another option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts