Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I have been a lurker for quite a while, this is my first post.

Just picked up my Casablanca3 and have started to set it up, but for the ife of me do not understand the dalay settings as described in the manual. I have an 8.3 setup and the dealys for the surround and side speakers do not make sense, can anyone describe the procedure in plain english?

CBF

·
Registered
21,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casablancafan
Hi:

I have been a lurker for quite a while, this is my first post.

Just picked up my Casablanca3 and have started to set it up, but for the ife of me do not understand the dalay settings as described in the manual. I have an 8.3 setup and the dealys for the surround and side speakers do not make sense, can anyone describe the procedure in plain english?

CBF
Let me tell you how I do it in my dedicated home theater room. I have a 5.3 system. My floorstanding Aerial 10T front left and right, and surround left and right, are equidistant from my sweet spot front row center listening position,

about 8.5',with each speaker on a circle at 2,4, 8 and 10 0'clock roughtly, each speaker facing the one diagonally across from it at a 45 degree angle.

Front center speaker is Aerial CC5 also 8.5' from my listening position.

Front left and right Aerial subs are each just to the inside of the front left and right Aerial 10Ts. Surround (3rd) Aerial sub is close to front screen wall just in back and to the left of Aerial CC5.

Theta has set up speaker delays generally so that the surround left and right speakers have a 15 ms delay, compared to the front left and right speakers.

This is based on someone having the optimal equal distance speakers like I have.

Theta has the surround delay because its been long established by Dolby and others, back in the only Pro Logic delays, that some surround delay was necessary in order to clarity from the front channels.

Theta also has a Dolby Digital submenu with additional delay for Dolby Digital sources. The default delay is -15. So what happens when you use the default settings in Dolby Digital? the main setting for surrounds, +15, and the Dolby Digital submenu default setting of -15, cancel so there is 0 delay, just like in the front channels. The theory being that Dolby Digital is a discrete,not matrix, format and that no delay is necessarily needed for clarity from the front channels.

Although my center speaker Aerial CC5 is equidistant as are my other speakers, instead of using a main delay 0 setting, I have it set to 3 ms (one millisecond = 1 foot of distance). This is because a bit of extra center channel delay gives better clarity (play with the setting during normal watching and listening to determine this).

For each foot that each speaker is further away from your main center listening position, add 1 ms per foot.

I assume that the side and surround center speakers (which I don't have) probably operate with the same settings as the surround left and right speakers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve Thanks:

So all measurements are VS listening position to front left right, so for example if left front speaker is 12' from listening position and left surround is 8' you would delay the left surround an additional 4ms?

Same for right surround if it is 4' from listening position and front right is 12' from listening position than that delay is an additional 8 ms?

·
Registered
21,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casablancafan
Steve Thanks:

So all measurements are VS listening position to front left right, so for example if left front speaker is 12' from listening position and left surround is 8' you would delay the left surround an additional 4ms?

Same for right surround if it is 4' from listening position and front right is 12' from listening position than that delay is an additional 8 ms?
You got it!!!

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Hi Steve:

I like casblacafan are somewhat confused by the CB3 manual.

I am wondering if there is a misprnt in the CB3 manual, it states " to set side speaker delays, calculate the difference( distance in feet) between the left side and left front speakers.

Do you think they had a misprint and left out "listening position" or are we supposed to calculate actual distance between side speakers and front speakers

Lon

·
Registered
21,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG
Hi Steve:

I like casblacafan are somewhat confused by the CB3 manual.

I am wondering if there is a misprnt in the CB3 manual, it states " to set side speaker delays, calculate the difference( distance in feet) between the left side and left front speakers.

Do you think they had a misprint and left out "listening position" or are we supposed to calculate actual distance between side speakers and front speakers

Lon
Lon, as I don't have side speakers, I don't know. Theta might have set the side speakers so they auto, at 0, have the same delay as front left and right; in which case the manual would be correct.And it just might be. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.