Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

I have two Philips DSR6000R01's (DTV Tivos) hooked up to an 18x24 dish, each reciver takes two feeds (two tuners)

I have a spare channel master 4x4 (the one that came with an 18x24 dish) can I take two of the feeds from the first multiswitch and plug them into the A feeds on the 4x4 multiswitch and just use it as a 2x4 multiswitch so I can add a third dtivo?

If that would work, I'm assuming I woudl need to set up both recivers hanging off the cascaded multiswitch as dual LNB round dishes, instead of the 18x24 dish... and only watch things off the 101 bird, correct?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
No it SHOULDn'T work.

Go replace your current 4x4 multiswitch with a 4x8 / 5x8 model. That WILL work.

·
Registered
374 Posts
What you can do is use 4 splitters between the dish and both multi-switches. You can run them both in parallel as long as you line the inputs of each mutli-switch up correctly.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It is generally best not to cascade multiswitches, but in some special cases it is useful. The configuration you have proposed will likely work. There are some technical issues that may prevent it from working as expected.

Another possible configuration would be to use one multiswitch (as a 2x4) to split the 101 feed before it goes to the second multiswitch (as 4x4). This would provide 4 outputs that support 101 & 119 and 2 outputs that support 101 only.

The receiver(s) connected to 101 only feeds must be configured for a "round" dish.

When splitters are used to facilitate multiple multiswithes in parallel, at least one of the multiswitches must be powered. The Channel Master 6904IFD is not a powered multiswitch and will not work in this configuration.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin T

It is generally best not to cascade multiswitches, but in some special cases it is useful. The configuration you have proposed will likely work. There are some technical issues that may prevent it from working as expected.

To further my learning, what would some of those technical issues be?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, most notably.....it will not work because the first multiswitch will not apss the 22Khz "tone" needed to switch inputs from Sat A to Sat B.

Your best bet, as mentioned above, is to put power-passing splitters between the dish and the pairs of multiswitches. An excellent diagram of this is shown on the ChannelMaster website. You CANNOT use "just any old splitter" ... check out the diagram, order the right stuff...you'll be a happy couch spud in no time at all.....

The other option is to get a bigger MS...like a 5X8 Spaun...it's a wunnerful thing.

FWIW

Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.