AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UE is coming out to install my new Zenith HD sat receiver and sat-c dish on Wednesday. I already have DirectTivo (2 inputs) and 2 other "receivers" running of a dual LNB and a 3 x 4 multiswitch. This dish will be replaced with the new one which has the built in multiswitch

The UE preinstaller told me that I have to replace the existing multiswitch with a $99 *cascadeable* multiswitch because my existing switch would "burn out". Of course he offered to sell it to me.

Is this true?

Can i just hook the HD receiver up directly to one of the feeds coming out of the new dish and then hook up feeds 2 and 3 into the existing multi switch and leave feed 4 disconnected?

thanks.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
The UE preinstaller told me that I have to replace the existing multiswitch with a $99 *cascadeable* multiswitch because my existing switch would "burn out". Of course he offered to sell it to me.
This is not true. It will not burn up.

Quote:
Can i just hook the HD receiver up directly to one of the feeds coming out of the new dish and then hook up feeds 2 and 3 into the existing multi switch and leave feed 4 disconnected?
Yes, but anything that is connected to the 3x4 switch will only receive signals from the 101 satellite. The cascadable switch will allow all of your receivers to receive programming from all three satellites.

-Robert

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Yes, but anything that is connected to the 3x4 switch will only receive signals from the 101 satellite. The cascadable switch will allow all of your receivers to receive programming from all three satellites.
So, I don't lose anything on the other receivers?

Should I want to get HD eventually to additional recievers, that is when I need to get the *cascadeable* switch?

Who sells them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlj5242
This is not true. It will not burn up.

-Robert
Robert, he said he is getting the new dish with the built in switch. I'm thinking the 3 lnb model.

Won't he get all of the satellites with the built in switch on this dish?

Up to 4 receivers and than if he needs more than 4 he needs to get a cascadable multiswitch added to his existing switch?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
install my new Zenith HD sat receiver ............ already have DirectTivo (2 inputs) and 2 other "receivers"
That's a lotal of five tuners. That's why I gave him two options. Cascade a 3x4 off of the multi-sat dish and his existing receivers work exactly like they do now. Run another coax from the mulit-sat dish to the new HD receiver and it will receive all of the extra programming on the other two sats.

Or he could add a cascadable now and get multi-sat viewing on all of his receivers.

-Robert

·
Registered
89 Posts
How do you know if a multiswitch is "cascadeable" or not? I am getting a triple lnb dish this week and will have a similar setup. How can I tell if my current multiswitch has this capability?

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
The specs for the ms should say... if you don't have the original doc, you can perhaps find it online somewhere.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If the multi-switch that is built in to the Triple-LNB provides access to all 3 SATs for each of the 4 connections, is it possible to feed only 2 of those connections to a cascadable multi-switch (2/4 or 2/8) so that all the receivers can get programming from all 3 satellites?

I'd like to upgrade to locals/HD, but my dish is mounted 80 feet from the house, and only 2 cable runs are currently run to it in underground conduit ... and I loathe the though of digging it up.

Thanks,

Sean

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Very common question, niipp... sorry, but you need all four outputs into a, say, 4x8 or whatever. The reason is that you are really looking at two LNBs, since the sat C xponders are stacked into one of the others. And, then you need L and R polarization for each of those two so every receiver can see any possible xponder. Thus you need to feed all four into the MS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Lee.

I talked to two sat techs ... a sat tech at DirecTV and a local sat shop.

They each said a triple-lnb dish had only 3 feeds, one per lnb; and both told me that if I got a triple-lnb dish w/o a built-in multiswitch I could skip the middle lnb, and use the two remaining LNB feeds to get the locals by running a cable from each into my existing multiswitch in the house. It doesn't sound as if this advice is correct since at least two of the LNBs still needs L&R polarization.

Looks like I'll start digging.

Thanks again Lee.

Sean

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
They each said a triple-lnb dish had only 3 feeds, one per lnb;
The right and left LNBs are each dual (2 outputs) and the middle is a special single LNB (1 output).

Quote:
It doesn't sound as if this advice is correct since at least two of the LNBs still needs L&R polarization.
Just because they get paid to do this for a living doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

-Robert

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.