388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building an HTPC to drive a 50" plasma, and I've basically settled on:

- Celeron 1.7 Ghz

- Zalman 6500 cooler, with 92mm fan

- Aopen motherboard with passive chipset cooling

- Sapphire Radeon 9000, also passive cooling

- Zalman 300W PSU.

Considering the Celeron is supposed to run very cool, and the PSU already provides some air flow, would you say that I still need case fans? Obviously, I want as little noise as possible, but I still want a stable PC. And I wanted your opinion, since I have no way of knowing the temperature of the chipset and the video card.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi,

no I do not think so. If you go for a P4 instead you could even consider heatpipe cooling. I have been designing my own case and I think that you can even cool a 2.4 P4 with heat-pipe and intelligent airflow only :)))

Regarding the power supply you should look at some special offers. Nowadays there are even power supplys available with no fans at all.

So long, Torsten

·
Registered
271 Posts
zambaretzu,

You should have no problems with what you porpose.

I run a P4 2.4 with Zalman 6500 AlCu with tha 92 mm fan set at it's lowest setting (I can barely hear it if right next to it) also a zalman zm 50 on my radeon 9000pro.

The loudest thing in the HTPC is the powersupply which is temp controlled and pretty quiet.

My CPU temp runs at 44C/109F with 100% CPU use.

The MB temp is at 30C.

Also I went to a hobby shop and got a small (4.5"x1.5"x6") plastic box and put the harddrive in it wrapped in some foam and can't hear it at all.

The loudest thing in my whole system is the da*m Tivo harddrives.

Been thinking about trying to find a way to remount it into a different case like a larger VCR or something so I can put the HD's into a box and quiet them down.

Hope this helps out :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.