AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just transfered all my components from a large tower case to a black desktop that I bought from Digital Connection. I had the silencing treatment added by them. In my tower I had the cpu fan and two case fans plus the power supply fan. The case that I bought from DC only has the power supply fan and of course the cpu fan. My system is a P4TE with a 1.8 P4, radeon 7000 (No fan), a 40 Gig and a 80 Gig HD, and a SBLive 5.1. This new case seems pretty warm to the touch when being used, especially at the power supply area. My concern is am I doing damage to my HTPC, should I add a case fan or two (which would the increase noise level). How can I tell if it is too hot?

Thanks,

Howard

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
New computers can run rather hot lately. Try some "quiet" solutions to the heat problems like rounded IDE cables, thermal grease on heatsinks and bigger/slower/quieter fans all around.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I assume you are talking about the Avance Product : CI-6004B / CI-6004BM. I just installed one and it ran real hot when I first installed it. Now it runs at 39 degrees C. :D

I did the following:

1) Cable management! Make sure that there is a good path for airflow that will allow for cool air to go over the ram and proc area. Tuck your IDE cables away so they do not block air flow. BE CAREFUL WITH ROUNDED IDE CABLES! ATA-100 is achieved by placing a ground wire between the active 40 wires... hence the 80 wire cable. Round cables can/willl slow down the bus depending on how they are built.

2) Radio shack sells a 60 mm fan that runs at 3200 rpm. Not bad noise wise. I cut out the back where all of the holes were for a case fan so there was good airflow without noise, and mounted the 2 wire fan. This helps dramatically since the PS Digital Connections provides does not move a lot of air. This fan blows out.

3) I added a real small fan from a kit to cool off hard drives to the front of the case after again cutting out the area so that there would be one big hole instead of a ton of little ones. :) This fan blows in.

4) This may be overkill, but I put in a airflow 'guide' using plastic so that the air blowing into the front of the unit was directed over the mem/proc.

With these mods, my CPU fan went from 5000+ rpm to 3500 rpm and the case from around 50 C to 39-40 C.

Still quiet too. If you want I could post some pictures of the final mod on Monday.

Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the same case as you guys. I also had to modify the case to cool things down. I did some of the same mods as smc_r8dr. I purchased a 60mm case fan from Antec, and tucked the cables properly. It went from 50C to 42C. Still not satisfied I added a 80mm fan to the inside of the case to blow across the MB, now it is down to 34C. I am using an ASUS MB with and AMD 1700+. The one thing I do not like about this case is the non-standard power supply. If the power supply ever fails, I hope Digital Connection still carries a power supply that will fit otherwise I will need to buy a new case.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
falcon,

We've carried this case for 3 years now and keep the power supplies in parts inventory.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Howard,

I’ve been trying to burn up a HiPix card in this case for 1-½ years and can’t seem to do it. I run this HTPC 7/24.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Kei and Cliff. I feel better knowing there are a spares in stock.

I love the case, it looks great in my audio cabinet. I think in the future it should come with the 60mm fan installed since this reduced the temp by 8C. I decided to mount an additional fan on the inside front of the case and it took the temp down another 8C. 50C > 34C is pretty significant for $16. Obviously the temp will vary depending on the individual setup.

Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I will try some of the mods suggested just for my piece of mind, but it is also good to hear from Cliff that it is okay the way it is.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just want some more confirmation. I too ordered with silence treatment for the case. The power supply is the only item that gets really hot. There doesn't seem to be enough exhaust. The corner area around the PSU and the PSU itself is very hot. I'm not concerned so much about the computer parts since they can take some heat. I'm more concerned about a possible fire hazard. I plan to keep this on 24/7. I have 2 other computers, full towers will ample cooling, and the PSU is cool to the touch. The Avance one gives me mild discomfort to touch it. I see the fan spinning inside it, but there isn't very much for exhaust.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Same with mine. :) I have it on 24-7 and have no issues. BUT.. putting in a 60mm fan next to it after clearing out the vent holes really moves some air and helps it cool down a lot.

I think it is the design of the PS to withstand the heat in the sake of noise. IMO, it is a great PS.

Just added dynamat to the front to cover the drive bay including the 3 1/2 cabinet and now it's real quiet.. even with 3 7200rpm HDs. :D

Lots of foam (fans, HDs) to prevent vibration, good airflow, and now I have to close the windows and tune out the fridge to even hear it.

Again.. if anyone wants it.. I will take my case to work, take some pictures, and show all of the mods I've done. Proc is a 1.13 pent III and it is at 39C with the proc fan sub 4000 rpm. Case temp at 40C.

Thanks Digital Connection for the case!! One HAPPY customer! :D

Cheers!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I put a Sunon 60mm fan there as a test. The noise was a little more than I would have liked. I'll try finding the radio shack one.

The loudest thing that was in my case was my Radeon AIW fan. I removed it last night an put a bigger P3 heatsink with no fan. I'm trying to keep it as quiet as possible because of the girlfriend factor.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by supernoman
I put a Sunon 60mm fan there as a test. The noise was a little more than I would have liked. I'll try finding the radio shack one.
The Radio shack fan is fixed at 3200rpm and is a sleeve bearing fan (quieter) so it only lasts about 2 years. Keep that in mind.

The biggest noise reduction is made by cutting the case. Check out this link. It is a different case but the instructions are the same. I had to remove everything (MB, drives, etc.) but the sound AND temp reduction was worth it. It was fun too! :D

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/casecutting/3.shtml

BTW, you can use the Dremel to sand it as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm not the most handiest person nor do I have any power tools. How was the noise with the grill still in place and the radio shack fan? Maybe I can even mount in on the outside.

I was just going to replace the PSU, but I didn't realize that it wasn't a standard ATX as noted above. I'll have to do more research.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got a battery power Dremel for $40 just for this purpose. It was pretty easy and fun too. I have since been making up reasons to use it. :D

The noise AND heat reduction was substantial using the same fan. It really was worth the mod.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
My new HTPC was running hot too, it has a 1.8 athlon in it, I prefer Intel but away, it was hitting the alarm on my VIA chipset so I bought one of these fans called a "Whisper PC System Cooler " that takes up a back slot and plugs in with normal hard disk type plug/jumper. I got it at www.crazypc.com for 9.99 plus shipping and it is reasonably quiet. I am going to add a thermosister (sp?) mod to have the fan increase speed when it gets warmer (and of course off when not needed) but for now it is no noisier than the stock ps fan, which is very quiet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelZ
I bought one of these fans called a "Whisper PC System Cooler " that takes up a back slot and plugs in with normal hard disk type plug/jumper.
I am also using one of the slot fans as well. Got it from CompUSA for 14.99. ( http://www.compusa.com/products/prod..._code=50086160 )

That fan is real quiet since my PC is actually on a shelf in my entertainment center. I have that one slot down from my 7500 with the middle slot empty and it sucks that heat right away from that card. I am assuming that the fan on the 7500 is temp controlled since I hear NO noise from the ATI.

I have 3 fans on the case, 1 proc, 1 ATI, and 1 ps. 6 fans in all!:rolleyes:

Obsess much? :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I finally got motherboard monitor running on the HTPC. Temps are 50 and 46. Which is CPU or system temp...I'm not sure. Either way, it's higher than I would like, but the only part that seems to be warm to the touch is the PSU. A 60mm fan would appear to be the most efficient solution for me. I just read online somewhere today (can't remember, I'll try to find it later) about Antec thermally controlled fans. I think it's www.overclockers.com. Fan RPM from 2000+ to 5000+. Might be a good solution.

supernoman

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have a 1.2G Tualatin P3 underclocked to 900 in a fanless HTPC with an oversize Alpha heatsink and addtional case venting. I dropped the cpu voltage as far as it could go while remaining stable, and it runs quite cool.

As much as I love my AMD boxes, please don't try this with an Athlon, Duron, or even a P4, for that matter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by falcon
I have the same case as you guys. I also had to modify the case to cool things down. I did some of the same mods as smc_r8dr. I purchased a 60mm case fan from Antec, and tucked the cables properly. It went from 50C to 42C. Still not satisfied I added a 80mm fan to the inside of the case to blow across the MB, now it is down to 34C. I am using an ASUS MB with and AMD 1700+. The one thing I do not like about this case is the non-standard power supply. If the power supply ever fails, I hope Digital Connection still carries a power supply that will fit otherwise I will need to buy a new case.
Not to resurrect an old thread....but I want to confirm the case from Digital Connection does not have a standard ATX power supply? I almost ordered one until I saw this thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.