Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone :),

Having recently looked at the Lian-Li PC-42 case and others ( Coolermaster ATC-600), and not having done very well in "metal shop" classes at school, I was wondering if someone can tell me what advantages/disadvantages a case made only from aluminium has over cases made from other materials, other than being alot lighter.

Many thanks to anyone willing to help someone who WOULDN'T win "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire".

Brett.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Aluminium cases can bend easily if dropped :)

Comes down to internal and external drive bays on the model you are choosing. And maybe dust filters and fan speeds. There is no noticeable drop in temperature compared to regular cases. They are really only for the people who are willing to pay through the nose for cosmetics. I still don't understand why people buy 'em :) Personally, I hate the Lian Li square designs, but whatever floats the public's boat :)

-Bruce

·
Registered
259 Posts
I disagree with Bruce. I'm sure some aluminum cases aren't worth the money, but I like the Lion-Li cases. I own two. They are lightweight, well designed, great cooling, and super easy to work with since they feature thumbscrews and the slide out motherboard mount. I've been very pleased with both cases.

-James

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maybe I came across too harsh :)

They are good cases, no doubt. I tend not to like their designs (external) though. Internals are good with usually plenty of drive bays and space.

...but so are many others on the market.

Thumbscrews can be bought separately for quite cheap if you really want them. They also come with the cheap as chips Auriga cases. Just remember the Lian Li's don't come with power supplies, which tends to put things into perspective, value-wise.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have built systems using the Coolermaster and the Li Lian all aluminum case. I have also built systems using a ClearPC case (my own for example :)) as well as many run-of-the-mill to high end "normal" cases.

IMO, the aluminum cases "shed" heat faster, but who really cares. What I mean is, the Coolermaster I setup had 7 HD and Dually procs in it, (plus ample cooling). Even with the cooling, the sides would still get pretty hot. A very similar system in a plain jane tower case would get about the same temperature but when both systems were turned off, the Coolermaster would be "cool" in seconds, ole' jane would take a few minutes to cool off. But, who cares, they both still stayed about the same temp (using basic measurements I think the Cooler master was about 4 degrees F cooler but it wasn't scientific because it had a wee bit better cooling method to begin with).

Bottom line: Aluminum cases are typically higher dollar and by nature are more likely to be better constructed. Higher end "plain" cases get the job done just as well in my experience, they just don't look as "cool". :D

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If you're looking for nice tower cases, check out www.antec-inc.com

They have just released a new "Performance Plus" series case with a quiet p/s. and IMO very nice cosmetics. Very well-built and easy to work in.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I believe other than advantage in weight and heat distribution, Aluminum cases might also be more noisy as they are less dense than normal sheet metal, and would therefore not insulate sound that well.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
A good aluminium case 'should' discipate heat quicker.

As warlordbb said the extrenal sides were hot but don't think of this as being a downside, all it means is that the alloy case is doing it's job - getting the hot air out of the case and into the external surroundings.

However considering the prices differences between a good (lan-li/coolmaster) case and a good steel case is so high, I personally wouldn't go for it. The only reason I own a alloy desktop case was because I found it cheap ($150NZD/$70USD including 200watt psu) and is very well made.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Aluminum cases are lighter, look "cooler", more expensive and dissipate heat quicker.

Downside? They can be louder because they don't hide the fan noise as much. My main PC is an aluminum Lian-Li PC60. My HTPC is a regular steel case that I've modded to make cooler.

Robert

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.