AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 18 gauge brad nailer and I wanted to put new moldings in my theater room, but I worry about hitting stuff in the walls (like my AC condenser lines! and the electrical service for the whole house! (my room sits over my garage).

Do I need to worry about this (when building things with the nailer, the nails seem quite adept at bending when they hit something)?

Thanks!

Sean

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is definatly something to be careful with. What lenth brads are you using?

I typically use a 2" finish nail in my air nailer. Remember that most of your electrical and water and the sorts are not usually run right against the front of the studs but in the middle. The studs being 1 1/2" wide with sheetrock on top of that you are close to the end of the stud IF you nailed strait through. If you are hanging crown moulding you are going to be doing that at an angle and have some room to work with.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I typically use 1.75" nails.

When they were building the house I know they had to tear that wall out a couple times because of problems with the AC wire and I ran some new wires to the electrical panel :cool: too so I know there are a *ton* of wires there.

Maybe I'll just glue the baseboards to the wall?

I looked on deja.com and google.com and I only found one message on the subject (someone got a nail in an AC compressor line)... I would think that this would be a common problem/concern?

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you are installing baseboard you should have a base plate that the wall is built on(2x4 running along the floor that the studs are attached to). That gives you an 1 1/2" to nail to. Just nail about an 1" up from floor with a slight downward angle on the nailer and you should be fine.

Same goes with crown IF you are nailing at the ceiling and not 2-3" down.

·
Registered
111 Posts
For cahir rail and crown, look for studs, and only nail there as much as possible. Liquid nails is an option too...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.