AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing up the home theater and trying to figure out the best way to mount my projector screen. On the wall is a LCD Samsung, that with mount, sticks out about 5". The ceiling is vaulted and sloped so the projector screen has to be wall mounted. The screen is a Da-Lite Model B, 106" 16x9 with wall mount and hanging brackets. Because I have to extend the screen away from the wall by about 6 inches to clear the TV, I am thinking about building some kind of wood blocking behind as a spacer and a casing around the screen roll using 1x4 and crown molding to match the room. Before I dive into the project, just wanted to see if you guys have come across this and what kind of solutions have worked well for you.

Thanks.

Eric

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi Eric,

I ran into a similar issue. My set up will have a 58" Plasma mounted on the wall therefore I needed the projection screen to be mounted a few inches out to clear the TV when lowered.

I built a soffit to "hide" the screen when not in use. I thought a soffit would be more aesthetically pleasing to look at than the projector screen housing.

These pictures are before the mud & taping process so it is not as pretty as it is now. I am very happy with the way it came out.

Brent

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,377 Posts
There have been some good looking versions of what you are looking for that have been posted here over the past couple of years. Sorry don't have a link.

Basically what you want is a window cornice or valance but instead of curtains you want to mount a retractable screen. If you do a Google image search on window cornices or window valances you will get some ideas.

here is one resource:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1

here is one google image:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info guys. That soffett looks awesome but would be tough on existing construction, and maybe a little too substantial for a living room setting. The window cornice or valance is a lot closer to what I was thinking. A image search gave me some great pictures and ideas. Thanks for the help guys and I will let you know how it turns out.

Eric

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
There's also this thread:

Recent thread

This is what I'll likely do (with similar window cornices over the two windows I have). I still haven't determined how to actually implement this, though.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Mine is ceiling mounted, so I had no problem with clearance. I think you're on the right track in padding out the wall with a couple of 3/4" plywood strips to build up the clearance needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts