AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My name is Andy and I am a home theater newbz who has been lurking in this forum for about 8 mos. AVS uber-newb, in fact, since I'm still trying to work my projector, and wonder if the little squares I see projected are pixels or something else.:mad:

I have bought a ceiling mount for my A145, but want opinions on this matter: "How best to port media to the ceiling mounted projector?"

I am trying to find the best solution for a pull down screen in my main living area. I bought the projector refurbished and can't seem to get it's wireless mode to function, maybe the default passcode fell off the dongle, because I haven't found one and it keeps asking for one. Even if I could get it to work, would it handle the bandwidth of even 780p? Latest problem, the HDMI port broke. Hurrah.

BUT WAIT!!!! THAT's NOT ALL.

I live above a converted storefront in Chicago, and am seriously considering making the entire first floor a convertible theater space / art Gallery. If I got a grant to do so, a prosumer projector still seems like a better bet than low-end pro, don't you think?

Not to sound like a wuss, but the fellowship I've seen on these boards is great.

Nice to finally say hi.

Still working on theater specs in signature thing. basically it is my mac pro, a bunch of wires, a 70 buck pull down screen and the xj-a145. I know I suck. I have hand built speakers and woofers that will be dragged back from my ancestral home in rural PA, later this month. I am musician so I am very comfortable with the audio side, which is why I didn't even try to tackle that problem yet.

PHILOSOPHY... SO, in 1998 or 1999, I watched The Phantom Menace at a movie theater in the NYC area... It was the first theater to boast an all digital system, and it looked pretty dang good. I wonder how much better I would ever need than that, from time to time. I assume it was shot in 1080p, right?

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Getting media to it is usually done with a longer hdmi cord, but your input is broke..next is vga or dvi (the computer monitor inputs) then 5-color composite or S-video, lastly 3-color RCA (like your old VCR deck). It'll probably come down to whatever you can get out of your computer or easily adapt it to.

If you can get either a fixed-frame screen or just a smooth painted wall (flat-white), you'll get a nicer picture than the rolldown screen..mostly because the rollup will wrinkle and curl at the sides while the painted wall or fixed-frame will stay smooth and flat.

It's totally possible to get a theater look at your own place. You'll probably need a bit of re-arrangement to keep light off the screen and eventually you might want to grab a higher measured contrast projector (which can be as low as $750) when/if you have the spare cash for it..but it's totally doable and not terribly expensive if you're a little flexible.

Yes, it's all in 1080p until 4k is finally given a form, player, and full hdmi2.0+processing.
By the way, you probably meant 720p not 780..not to be a jerk about it or anything. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Getting media to it is usually done with a longer hdmi cord, but your input is broke..next is vga or dvi (the computer monitor inputs) then 5-color composite or S-video, lastly 3-color RCA (like your old VCR deck). It'll probably come down to whatever you can get out of your computer or easily adapt it to.

If you can get either a fixed-frame screen or just a smooth painted wall (flat-white), you'll get a nicer picture than the rolldown screen..mostly because the rollup will wrinkle and curl at the sides while the painted wall or fixed-frame will stay smooth and flat.

It's totally possible to get a theater look at your own place. You'll probably need a bit of re-arrangement to keep light off the screen and eventually you might want to grab a higher measured contrast projector (which can be as low as $750) when/if you have the spare cash for it..but it's totally doable and not terribly expensive if you're a little flexible.

Yes, it's all in 1080p until 4k is finally given a form, player, and full hdmi2.0+processing.
By the way, you probably meant 720p not 780..not to be a jerk about it or anything. :D
thanks for the reply. Jerk! JK 720p, is right. 780p is nothing.

no ideas about the casio wireless functions, anyone out there?

I chose this projector because it fell in my lap fairly accidentally. It was reconditioned, and had the hybrid projection system. My brother owns a panny projector and it sounds like the bulb fades rather quickly.

:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts