AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loved this movie. Maybe I'm the last person to finally see it, but at least I saw it the "right way"; i.e., in D-Theater format. Having seen the terrific D-Theater version of Spy Game only a week ago, it appears we are finally getting some seriously good titles to buy.

However, I take issue with WSR's rating on PQ. They gave it a 5 out of 5. No way, I say. During the first 30 minutes, and at other times, the picture was grainy. The color was oversaturated at other times. To be sure, there were also some stretches with very good PQ, but not consistent enough to merit a top score.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Yeah,

Have to leave some room for a higher PQ rating of Attack of the Clones.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I've seen the DVD and the HBO-HD presentations, but haven't bought the D-Theater yet. If it is incrementally better than the HBO-HD version, I'd be happy enough to have it. It's clearly not the best PQ of all time, but a very interesting and entertaining film that you would never believe could be that entertaining if you read a synopsis of it. Tom Hanks does a great job of carrying what is almost a one man movie.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I taped the HBO version, but I haven't watched it, yet. I agree about it being a very enjoyable and unique movie. I'm currently trying to get things setup so that I can run my 30k through my PC to do all the scaling to my 1024x768 DLP projector. I'm thinking that I may actually end up with better image quality from HBO than from D-Theater, because I would have to use the deinterlacer and scaling in my projector for D-Theater, where my HTPC should do a much better job and I can use a Panamorph to use my full panel that way. If I ever get this working I'll have to get one of the titles that is also on HBO just to test that theory.

--Darin

·
Registered
871 Posts
The HBO transfer was terrific.

A comparison with its D-Theater counterpart should be telling...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Yes. Providing other aspects of the transfers were the same, you would have the increased Dtheater bandwidth on one hand vs the abilty to software convert HBO to 1080p on the other. If I weren't so cheap, I'd buy it just for that test.

Joe

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
One place where everyone seems to at least agree that the extra bandwidth of D-Theater gives significant benefits is in low light level content, and there's lot's of that in this one.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
The title of this topic cracks me up. I thought it was going to be about someone dumping (casting away) their d-theater equipment.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
"One place where everyone seems to at least agree that the extra bandwidth of D-Theater gives significant benefits is in low light level content, and there's lot's of that in this one"

I've seen that said, too. It's more likely the video was processed or transferred better in the first place. With VBR encoding, detail in dark scenes doesn't require much bandwidth. It's large areas of motion or rapid changes in lighting that eat up the bits.

Joe

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Sometimes low light can eat up more than expected bandwidth. I think it is a signal to noise ratio problem. When there isn't much detail in the scene then the inherent noise in the image (from the film or whatever) starts to be more noticable and the encoder has to work extra hard trying to compress and track all those random noise elements.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.