AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which budget speakers would you chose for whole home audio? Why?

Monoprice 4103
  • $46/pair
  • 6.5" speaker
  • 9.4" diameter on the ceiling

Monoprice 4104
  • $63/pair
  • 8" speaker
  • 11.3" diameter on the ceiling

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
If you're not sure and/or haven't heard these before, stick with the 6.5" so you have an easy upgrade path.

The cutout sizes for in-ceiling speakers vary quite a bit from vendor to vendor. And 8" speaker might have anything from 8.5-11" diameter cutout. The issue is if you decide to upgrade the speaker - you have to pick one with the same or larger cutout size, otherwise you're doing a patch job.

Because any 8" speaker is likely to have a larger cutout than any 6.5" speaker - upgrading from a 6.5" to an 8" (of any brand) is easy. But starting with a cheap 8" one (and cheap ones tend to have large cutout requirements) will limit your choice of upgrades, even among 8" models.

I started with 8" throughout the house because the price delta wasn't large. But the performance of those speakers is "meh". When I upgraded (by moving speakers to other zones I was adding), I only had a few choices for higher-quality 8" models. Worked out ok for me, but hence the advice...

Jeff

Reactions: hoyalawya

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If you're not sure and/or haven't heard these before, stick with the 6.5" so you have an easy upgrade path.

The cutout sizes for in-ceiling speakers vary quite a bit from vendor to vendor. And 8" speaker might have anything from 8.5-11" diameter cutout. The issue is if you decide to upgrade the speaker - you have to pick one with the same or larger cutout size, otherwise you're doing a patch job.

Because any 8" speaker is likely to have a larger cutout than any 6.5" speaker - upgrading from a 6.5" to an 8" (of any brand) is easy. But starting with a cheap 8" one (and cheap ones tend to have large cutout requirements) will limit your choice of upgrades, even among 8" models.

I started with 8" throughout the house because the price delta wasn't large. But the performance of those speakers is "meh". When I upgraded (by moving speakers to other zones I was adding), I only had a few choices for higher-quality 8" models. Worked out ok for me, but hence the advice...

Jeff

Agree wholeheartedly. I ordered 4 pairs of Monoprice 8" speakers during the Black Friday sale. Move into the new house last month. Installed the first pair and didn't like them. Fortunately, I found ceiling speakers (@9 times the price of Monoprice's) that fit the holes.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
All advice makes sense... I have the 8" angles LCR from monoprice and am very happy for the price.

You also have to break the speakers in. They sound horrible out of the box but the sound does improve.

I'm not saying they're some sort of miracle speaker, but the value is definitely there.

Why not buy a set of the 6-1/2" and a pair of the 8" and compare. Pick a room where you wouldn't mind leaving the 8" if they weren't acceptable (eg spare bedroom). If you add a sub and cross at 80Hz it probably won't matter which ones you use.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts