Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question? What is in the Fed Ex Package

Well last night I compared the Castaway DVD released by Dreamworks with the Academy Screener DVD I happened to get and The Academy tape has No EE and that horrible artifacting is gone. Now why in the world would dreamworks release this crappy transfer when they released a flawless Academy DVD. The DTS is nice on the reg DVD, but I would prefer a better picture. I think all academy titles are EE free.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what's an "Academy screener DVD"?

Also, "Cast Away" was a Fox release, was it not? I had no idea it was a Dreamworks release.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about that. I watched "the Mexican" last night before I went to sleep and thus Dreamworks was sticking in my head. Yes it is a fox release, which explains some of the problems since I do not believe Dreamworks has put out such a crappy release, but "The Mexican" was a tad EE heavy.

Academy DVDs are those released to academy members for review before the academy awards so The Cast Away DVD came out in DEc or Nov of 2000 before the film was theatrically released. Usually through some circles(ebay on occasion) you can buy these DVDs about 2-3 months after the academy awards.

I have 2

Traffic

Cast Away

And neither have EE or very little EE.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Top six reasons that Academy voters get DVDs without edge enhancement.

6. So they can keep getting you to buy the same disc over and over by slowly reducing the EE.

5. They appreciate better image quality

4. They are not perceived to be watching on 19" Philco TVs from across the room.

3. They are by definition, not Joe Sixpack.

2. It's a conspiracy by the MPAA

Ane the number one reason why Academy members get EE free DVDs and you don't is...................

1. They vote and you don't.

:)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Tell us more about these "circles". I'm checking out EBay and I am not getting anything.

This could be huge...

OUT

·
Registered
181 Posts
A solar powered satellite phone!!!Aaagghh- the irony. That would have been the ultimate,(slap forehead) "D'Oh!"

I think the contents of the package are somewhat irrelevant as the idea of hope and discovery are more important to the story. Think of it as a play on the Hitchcockian maguffin (or however one spells it).

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hank527
Question? What is in the Fed Ex Package
I'm going to change to subject ever so slightly here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's my understanding of the path of the package. It left Memphis TN and flew over the South Pacific on the flight with Tom Hanks on it. It washes up on the same island and Hanks takes care of it for three years. After being rescued, he hand delivers it to someplace in the U.S. mid-West.

If this is all correct, then why was a package going from Memphis to the U.S. mid-West on a flight over the S. Pacific?

Enquiring minds want to know,

Mike

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Sargent

I'm going to change to subject ever so slightly here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's my understanding of the path of the package. It left Memphis TN and flew over the South Pacific on the flight with Tom Hanks on it. It washes up on the same island and Hanks takes care of it for three years. After being rescued, he hand delivers it to someplace in the U.S. mid-West.

If this is all correct, then why was a package going from Memphis to the U.S. mid-West on a flight over the S. Pacific?

Enquiring minds want to know,

Mike
Simple, it was "returned to sender". Remember the double wings? Her trademark on the boxes and the reason he did not open it. It must have contained a sculpture (or whatever art she makes) that was made for someone in the far east. At the beginning of the film she sent a sculpture (with double wings on the box) to Moscow.:cool:

·
Registered
912 Posts
He's right. The double wings was her trademark. But I believe the package actually was headed back to Texas.

OUT

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by McPatrickClan
He's right. The double wings was her trademark. But I believe the package actually was headed back to Texas.

OUT
Since Chuck was flying non stop from Memphis to Malaysia (with package on board), how could the package be headed for Texas? :confused: Returning to sender is what he was doing. After all her package saved his life. ;)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
So, in the end he didn't deliver the package to it's destination, but rather he chose to return it to the sender?

That at least explains the packages movements in the movie. But it doesn't explain why Joe Fedex chose to not deliver it to its correct recipient.

Mike

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Sargent
So, in the end he didn't deliver the package to it's destination, but rather he chose to return it to the sender?

That at least explains the packages movements in the movie. But it doesn't explain why Joe Fedex chose to not deliver it to its correct recipient.

Mike
After 4 years the package would have been replaced by sender or refunded money by insurance. Also the wings mystery on the package is what inspired Chuck not to open it. The only way to find out the wings mystery is to go to the sender. The note he wrote at the end said "This package saved my life". It was all about the metaphor and practical ueses of the wings which was printed on the package by the sender.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.