AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have a Cat 6 cable pulled from my RF router in my office to my HT center. My HDTV, Pre/Pro, STB, and BDP all have an ethernet input, not to mention maybe adding a Roku box, etc. So, should I plan on buying a hub or switch (?) of some kind to allow sharing of this one cable? If so, are there any suggestions as to what kind or brand would be advised? How much money are we talking about? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Buy an 8 port switch, not hub. Hub's are dumb and route incoming packets to all outgoing ports, increasing network traffic. Switch's are more intelligent and route packets to where they need to go. The price incremental is nearly negligible. You can can get a decent Linksys (Cisco), Netgear, or Dlink 8 port 10/100/1000 switch for $50 or so.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. This is one of the reasons I like this forum so much
Hopefully, as time goes by, I'll be able to help someone out too. One more ? I'm guessing that I would use patch cables from the switch to the various devices and just leave them all connected all the time? Does the switch actually do the switching?
Or, is it an "on demand" type of thing?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once again, my thanks! I'll go shopping next. I have a D-Link DIR-655 and it has Gigabit ports. Does brand compatability matter, or should I just look for a decent brand at the best price?

·
Registered
87 Posts
You'll want to pay attention to whether the switch supports Gigabit (i.e. 1000Mbps) or only 100 Mbps links. While each device you connect may only be 100 Mbps, they will be sharing the same port back to the router. So, if you have a NAS back at the router, for example, a 100 Mbps link between the router and switch would become a bottleneck when multiple devices at the switch were accessing the NAS. This is especially key for HD video streaming.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not to hijack your thread but I am the same boat.I just pre-wired my new house with cat-5 in everyroom with some having 2 with rec. room having 4, plus kitchen having one. I have run all of these into mt leviton box, now I have 15 total cat-5 connections. I was hoping of hooking them all up so if I need them I won't have to connect them at a later date. Is this possible do they make a hub or switch to distribute all 15 connections. If so what do I need to get. I also already have a linksys wireless router for some laptops. I will have to get bellsouth dsl due to where I live. I ran 2 homeruns from outside for the phone guy to bring the signal in to the box. does this sound right. Also I have 15 phone cables and 15 rg6 coming in, but my direct-tv guy says I can only use 8 through the swm technology. My other question is can I hook up all 15 phone cables(some for phone and some for dvr boxes) so I can use them all and what do I need to buy for the electrician when he comes back to tie everything up. Thanks in advance, Greg

·
Registered
3,991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeatr2000 /forum/post/17024448

Not to hijack your thread but I am the same boat.I just pre-wired my new house with cat-5 in everyroom with some having 2 with rec. room having 4, plus kitchen having one. I have run all of these into mt leviton box, now I have 15 total cat-5 connections. I was hoping of hooking them all up so if I need them I won't have to connect them at a later date. Is this possible do they make a hub or switch to distribute all 15 connections. If so what do I need to get. I also already have a linksys wireless router for some laptops. I will have to get bellsouth dsl due to where I live. I ran 2 homeruns from outside for the phone guy to bring the signal in to the box. does this sound right. Also I have 15 phone cables and 15 rg6 coming in, but my direct-tv guy says I can only use 8 through the swm technology. My other question is can I hook up all 15 phone cables(some for phone and some for dvr boxes) so I can use them all and what do I need to buy for the electrician when he comes back to tie everything up. Thanks in advance, Greg

For the data Cat5 you have a couple of options. Option A is to buy yourself a 16 or 24 port Cat5 punchdown block and then use short patch cables to a switch. The punchdown block allows you to terminate the Cat5 cables on the back and presents an RJ45 jack on the front for each connection. Then you would just use standard ethernet patch cables to connect each port to a switch. The advantages are that you don't have to have a 16 port switch. You just connect the ones you need and when that need changes, it takes a few seconds to move or add a patch cable. The disadvantage is cost.

The other option is to buy a 16 or 24 port switch (larger and more expensive than the 8 port models) and just terminate all your incoming Cat5 cables with RJ45 male connectors and plug them directly into the switch.

For Voice (phone) you need a 110 punchdown block. This block simply bridges all the cat5 connections together.

You mentioned using a Leviton box. If you are using the SMC boxes, Leviton makes all the above modules for that box. However, they tend to be a bit pricey. I too used a leviton box, but when I build the next house, I'll just use a plywood sheet mounted to the wall and mount devices of my own choosing to it versus having to fit everything into the SMC box.

If you click on my signature links there are some old pictures of my SMC box setup and you can see some 8 port and 12 port RJ45 punchdowns. At the time of those pics I didn't have the phone punchdown as I was using a Panasonic KVM system, but now I do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts