AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 45 foot Cat-5 cable that I'd like to use to play streaming music on my processor which is upstairs.

Is there anyway to convert a Cat-5 cable to a Coaxial cable? I understand that it would be impossible to convert with adaptors, but if I lop the ends off is there a feasibility that the wires inside could be twisted and I could crimp coaxial plugs on both ends?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Are you talking f-type connectors or RCA? Do you want them the same on both ends?

Either way you could do it. Whether or not it would be worse, better, or the same as a coax cable with the mentioned connectors, I do not know.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im talking RCA connectors on both ends unless you can do a mini-stereo on one end and an RCA on the other end and the sound card will know what to do with that. Im not hoping that it sounds better, only equivalent :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I use a pre-made mini-phono (stereo) to dual RCA that I found (may have been BB or the like), it was inexpensive (I don't recall the price) for that purpose. But you can get them in the length you are looking for. If not you could always get that and 2 female-female adapters and add another length of standard RCA cable. (Some will say that you will not get a great signal that way ('color' the sound, etc.), I have used things like that in the past with no noticeable difference).

You can wire one end with a mini-phono (stereo) and the other with dual RCA for your cable too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.