AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my basement i have patch panel ( see attached) that looks like only takes up to cat 5e. If i were to terminate cat 6 to that panel would be useless?
In order for me to terminate cat 6 to the panel does panel need to be cat 6 as well? I am assuming it does.
Any suggestions please.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
It may work, but cat6 wires can be thicker than cat5e so it may not terminate well, and it certainly wouldn't test out to cat6 specs... But if you get a decent punch, it will at least perform to cat5e specs...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since that cable in number 1 is cat 5e what happens if i swap this patch panel to cat 6
And i plug back that cat 5e cable back into number 1 on this new panel?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Since that cable in number 1 is cat 5e what happens if i swap this patch panel to cat 6
And i plug back that cat 5e cable back into number 1 on this new panel?
It will all spec out at the lowest number of that run.
That cat5e will remain cat5e in your scenario, but the new runs (if all components along the way are 6), will test out as 6.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will all spec out at the lowest number of that run.
That cat5e will remain cat5e in your scenario, but the new runs (if all components along the way are 6), will test out as 6.
Is it possible that patch panel is for cat 6 as well?
This link http://www.amazon.com/Hubbell-Wiring-Systems-NSODM8C6-Structured/dp/B002SF3V1U

And any other links i find by searching this NSODM8C6 code shows me a pic of my patch panel 5e and all of these links are saying it is category 6. ??

·
Registered
345 Posts
Is it possible that patch panel is for cat 6 as well?
This link http://www.amazon.com/Hubbell-Wiring-Systems-NSODM8C6-Structured/dp/B002SF3V1U

And any other links i find by searching this NSODM8C6 code shows me a pic of my patch panel 5e and all of these links are saying it is category 6. ??
I think I know what you are asking so I will give it a go. According to specs the NSODM8C6 is rated for Cat6. To maintain this, you need Cat6 wire plus Cat6 receptacles at other end and Cat6 patch cables. It is possible some of the pics you see are of their Cat5 patch panel and they just don't care about updating the pic.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I know what you are asking so I will give it a go. According to specs the NSODM8C6 is rated for Cat6. To maintain this, you need Cat6 wire plus Cat6 receptacles at other end and Cat6 patch cables. It is possible some of the pics you see are of their Cat5 patch panel and they just don't care about updating the pic.
great but i am confused about this...

Cat6 wire ...i am assuming that's cat6 cable?
Cat6 receptacles at other end ...what is this?
Cat6 patch cables...are you referring to patch panel?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
reason I ask is because company who installed that patch panel keeps telling me that patch panel will work with CAT5 and CAT6 cables and I doubt that is case

·
Registered
345 Posts
great but i am confused about this...

Cat6 wire ...i am assuming that's cat6 cable? YES
Cat6 receptacles at other end ...what is this? Cat 6 jack > http://www.grainger.com/product/3TY...3TY64&ef_id=VRKv2AAABPf4ISSC:20150325153623:s

Cat6 patch cables...are you referring to patch panel?
Patch cables go from a jack (or patch panel) to a device usually. they come premade with ends already on them. > http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=105&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023203

·
Registered
345 Posts
reason I ask is because company who installed that patch panel keeps telling me that patch panel will work with CAT5 and CAT6 cables and I doubt that is case
it will work with either. will it certify at either? No. Does it really matter? IMO, No. Cat 5/5e is fine for most house needs today and probably the near future. Cat 6 will help future proof but to be honest, I am not sure it will ever be needed in a home environment.

From another site:

Cat5: A Little Older, A Little Slower

Category 5 cabling, also known as Cat5, is an older type of network cabling. Cat5 cables were made to support theoretical speeds of 10Mbps and 100Mbps. You may be able to get gigabit speeds on a Cat5 cable, particularly if the cable is shorter, but it isn’t always guaranteed.

Since Cat5 is an older type of cabling, you probably won’t see them very much in the store, but you may have gotten some with an older router, switch or other networking device.

Cat5e: Faster with Less Interference

Category 5 enhanced cabling, also known as Cat5e, is an improvement on Cat5 cabling. It was made to support 1000 Mbps “gigabit” speeds, so in theory, it’s faster than Cat5. It it also cuts down on crosstalk, the interference you can sometimes get between wires inside the cable. Both of these improvements mean you’re more likely to get fast, reliable speed out of Cat5e cabling compared to Cat5.

Cat6: Even Faster, But Not Super Necessary

Category 6 cabling is the next step up from Cat5e and includes a few more improvements. It has even stricter specifications when it comes to interference, and its capable of 10-Gigabit speeds in some cases. You probably won’t use these speeds in your home, and the extra interference improvements won’t make a huge difference in regular usage, so you don’t exactly need to rush out and upgrade to Cat6. But, if you’re buying a new cable, you might as well, since it is an improvement over its predecessor.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it will work with either. will it certify at either? No. Does it really matter? IMO, No. Cat 5/5e is fine for most house needs today and probably the near future. Cat 6 will help future proof but to be honest, I am not sure it will ever be needed in a home environment.

From another site:

Cat5: A Little Older, A Little Slower

Category 5 cabling, also known as Cat5, is an older type of network cabling. Cat5 cables were made to support theoretical speeds of 10Mbps and 100Mbps. You may be able to get gigabit speeds on a Cat5 cable, particularly if the cable is shorter, but it isn’t always guaranteed.

Since Cat5 is an older type of cabling, you probably won’t see them very much in the store, but you may have gotten some with an older router, switch or other networking device.

Cat5e: Faster with Less Interference

Category 5 enhanced cabling, also known as Cat5e, is an improvement on Cat5 cabling. It was made to support 1000 Mbps “gigabit” speeds, so in theory, it’s faster than Cat5. It it also cuts down on crosstalk, the interference you can sometimes get between wires inside the cable. Both of these improvements mean you’re more likely to get fast, reliable speed out of Cat5e cabling compared to Cat5.

Cat6: Even Faster, But Not Super Necessary

Category 6 cabling is the next step up from Cat5e and includes a few more improvements. It has even stricter specifications when it comes to interference, and its capable of 10-Gigabit speeds in some cases. You probably won’t use these speeds in your home, and the extra interference improvements won’t make a huge difference in regular usage, so you don’t exactly need to rush out and upgrade to Cat6. But, if you’re buying a new cable, you might as well, since it is an improvement over its predecessor.
so as of right now....
patch panel is 5e....
If I install cat6 cable i would gain if in future cat6 happens I would only need to change patch panel right?

·
Registered
345 Posts
so as of right now....
patch panel is 5e....
If I install cat6 cable i would gain if in future cat6 happens I would only need to change patch panel right?
yes. we typically run cat6 on all new runs cause the price is competitive with cat5e now. so run 6. upgrade patch panel and patch cables if you ever need it

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
so as of right now....
patch panel is 5e....
Right. Cat 6 cable to a 5e panel will work fine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes. we typically run cat6 on all new runs cause the price is competitive with cat5e now. so run 6. upgrade patch panel and patch cables if you ever need it
What do you mean by patch cable.....

there is cable that one end is terminated in patch panel and the other ends in wall plate....

·
Registered
345 Posts
What do you mean by patch cable.....

there is cable that one end is terminated in patch panel and the other ends in wall plate....
a patch cable refers to a cable that is usually pre made with an RJ45 connector on either end. One end typically plugs into a patch panel and the other the switch/router. OR... one end into a device (PC, etc) and the other into a wall jack. On occasion I have used long patch cable to go direct from switch to security camera located in basement.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
a patch cable refers to a cable that is usually pre made with an RJ45 connector on either end. One end typically plugs into a patch panel and the other the switch/router. OR... one end into a device (PC, etc) and the other into a wall jack. On occasion I have used long patch cable to go direct from switch to security camera located in basement.
thank you very much

1 - 17 of 17 Posts