AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old pair of Acoustat 2+2 electrostatic speakers. They have wonderful sound, but the fabric covering them is irresistible to my cat: he uses the speakers as scratching posts. Over time the original fabric has gotten shredded, and the speakers are starting to look like fecal matter.

I tell the cat to stop scratching the speakers. In a loud, threatening voice. He does not obey. Love the cat, so I cannot part with him to save my Acoustats.

Suppose I peel off the old shredded speaker fabric. Is there anything I can use to re-cover the exposed insides that will be a) acoustically transparent, b) easy to work with, c) not too expensive, and most importantly d) impervious to cat claws?

Maybe some sort of wire mesh, or perforated metal sheets? Other cat owners must have had the same problem.

Thanks in advance,
Joel Dickman

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have an old pair of Acoustat 2+2 electrostatic speakers. They have wonderful sound, but the fabric covering them is irresistible to my cat: he uses the speakers as scratching posts. Over time the original fabric has gotten shredded, and the speakers are starting to look like fecal matter.

I tell the cat to stop scratching the speakers. In a loud, threatening voice. He does not obey. Love the cat, so I cannot part with him to save my Acoustats.

Suppose I peel off the old shredded speaker fabric. Is there anything I can use to re-cover the exposed insides that will be a) acoustically transparent, b) easy to work with, c) not too expensive, and most importantly d) impervious to cat claws?

Maybe some sort of wire mesh, or perforated metal sheets? Other cat owners must have had the same problem.

Thanks in advance,
Joel Dickman
Cat proof? You have jokes...... you do know that cats are natural a-holes and will find a way....

Juju

·
Registered
60 Posts
Refabric the existing grill frames and spray with cat repellent stuff? Most sprays are citrus oil based. Apparently cats don't like it. Maybe spray the trashed up stuff first to see if he'll stop scratching before you bother to recover.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We (wife mainly) have several cats ranging from a-hole to pretty good. My wife studied cat behavior at length and our (her) cats don't scratch or do GBF's anywhere but where they are supposed to. The secret: Several scratching posts and cat trees, clip their toenails often, and number-of-cats + 1 cat boxes scooped daily or 2x daily. Now if I could just stop them from playing high speed chase across the bed in the middle of the night... :rolleyes:

Seems to work for us but your mileage may vary. It's hard to break cat habits. Good luck!

Side note: Wife thinks large speakers are ugly so I point out the cat trees. Helps leverage the WAF. :cool:

·
Registered
594 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts