AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to run my CAT5e in my basement as the Electrical has been completed. I would like to run the Cat5 in the same holes that the electrical is run. Is this possible or do I need to run them seperately?

TIA.

*Edit*. I reread my post and realized how stupid my question sounded. While I know it's physically possible, would doing so cause any performance issues with transmissions over CAT5?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Its a fairly contentious issue. People will certainly weigh in on both sides. I guess I'll give my .02 cents. Is there a possibility of interference? Certainly. Someone with more technical knowledge than myself can certainly explain that. Will that interference be noticable by you? Thats a different matter that depends on a few factors. For what length will the Romex and Cat5e be next to each other? A few feet or several yards? What are your requirements for the network? In other words, will you worry about a slight loss in performance?

If I were you I would drill new holes wherever it is practical to do so and keep it 12 inches away. When it isn't practical, run it next to the Romex and don't lose too much sleep over it. Its my belief Cat5e cables have good insulation and can stand up to more interference than people give them credit for.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Well, the cable is insulated, but that's not where the interference rejection comes from; it's the twisting of the pairs. The greater the number of tywists per foot, the greater the noise rejection, the higher the bandwidth, and the higher the cost. (I can get CAT-5e for under $65/1000', but CAT-6 is over $100/1000')

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. The cable that I'm using is Cat5e high bandwidth (suitable for 1000mb/s transmission). My use for it would be for 100mb/s transmisisons. The runs along the Romex that I am considering would be quite long in some places.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mancubus
While I know it's physically possible, would doing so cause any performance issues with transmissions over CAT5?
YES IT WILL. Don't do it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The worst thing you can do it run it near fluorescent lights. If you have/might have fluorescent lights at the ends of these lines keep your cat5 far away.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Yay!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Here's some more ammo as to why it is a bad idea:

Paraphrased from EIA/TIA-569A, Pathways and Spaces Standard:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Voice and data telecommunications cabling should not be run adjacent and parallel to power cabling-even along short distances-unless one or both cable types are shielded and grounded. For low-voltage communication cables, a minimum 5-inch distance is required from any fluorescent lighting fixture or power line over 2 kVA and up to 24 inches from any power line over 5 kVA*. In general, telecommuni-cations cabling is routed separately, or several feet away from power cabling

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translated, this means you should try to maintain at least a 5 inch distance between power and audio/video as the load limit for a 20A circuit (80% load per NEC) is less than 2 kVA. Further is always better, if you cannot avoid doing this, at least minimize the length that they run together and ensure the audio/video cable is a shielded model.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the info.

I would like to mount my CAT5 the same height as the electrical, but doing so would mean that I would have to run the CAT5 closer than the 5 inches specified.

Question: How did everyone mount their device boxes containing CAT5?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the info.

Question: How did everyone mount their device boxes containing CAT5?
Not sure what you are asking. If you mean the wall box just mount it at least 1 stud away from the electric jacks.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, that's what I mean.

The problem is that I have my electrical running just above where the wall box would go. That means that my CAT5 would cross the Romex and when terminated would be less than the 5 inches specified.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Quote:
That means that my CAT5 would cross the Romex and when terminated would be less than the 5 inches specified.
It is OK to cross the Romex at a 90 degree angle, but where they are running parallel to each other they should be no closer together than 5 inches.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.