AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a spare Cat5e run to an out-building. Currently, I have one Poolcam on it and all's well. HOWEVER, I would like more than one camera out there. This is the one and only Cat5 that will ever be run there.

Anyone know of a way to do this? All of my Cat5 cameras go to CP modulators, etc.

Any way to hook multiple cat5e cameras to one cable and then re-split 'em.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
The poolcams aren't 'cat5' cameras in the sense that they are network cameras....You are just using the 8 conductors of a cat5 cable to connect the poolcam camera to the breakout box. With that said, the poolcam uses 6 of the 8 conductors if memory serves me correctly. I believe, but you can verify this by opening the camera housing up, that the six conductors are for Power+, Common (drives the camera and the IR), Video(2), Audio, and Motion.

You could use two poolcam cameras, and share the Power+ and Common. That's 2 conductors.

You could use four conductors for each camera's video. That's a total of 6.

Drop the Motion and use the last two conductors for each camera's audio. That's your 8.

Don't take this for verbatim. Open up the camera housing and look on the terminal strip. You'll see markings as to what each wire is. If you are unsure, report back here, and maybe I can help confirm what each conductor is.

While in theory this should work, I can't swear that there wouldn't be any cross talk or interference between the two video/audio signals from each camera.

Robert

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Robert. That is a very thoughtful and clever idea. You are right about the terminal strip. I've re-wired about 8 of them and am very familiar with the setup. Since I don't need motion, or even audio, that opens up lots of possibilities.

Thanks!

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you can disable those features (motion and audio) I'd grab another pair for power, if you can. Doubling the power draw on 24ga wire might cause some issues. OR, if you have power by the pool, introduce the power out there, and that frees up a pair.

next time, run an extra wire or 4. =)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank
If you can disable those features (motion and audio) I'd grab another pair for power, if you can. Doubling the power draw on 24ga wire might cause some issues. OR, if you have power by the pool, introduce the power out there, and that frees up a pair.

next time, run an extra wire or 4. =)
It took me 4 days of hard labor to pull the 3 wires that I could get through 300' of undergroung winding conduit. BUT, you reinforce a good point. Always run extra if you can on every project. Its not IF but WHEN you will use them.

The idea of powering them at the source is also a very good idea. Not sure exactly what I would need to do it, but I can fugure it out. Thanks

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I would be careful powering them remote....The local breakout box is currently the source of power, and who knows what it is doing to the transformer DC power once it goes into the box. It might be nothing and a straight shunt through, or it might use the 12VDC (eg...can't remember if it is 12 or 24) to power the internal circuitry, and step down a leg to 5VDC to the camera itself. I would unplug your camera and test the voltage at the camera end to see what power is coming from the breakout box, and then, still proceed with caution.

Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.