AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i would like to run a hardwire to my xb1 console. I know my home is prewired for cat5, and i have Ethernet jacks in every room.

My base station is inside the master bedroom but my modem/router are hooked up in my brothers room.

Do i need to move the modem/router to the base station?

Or do i i simply hook up an ethernet switch some how, as you can see im pretty clueless.

If its a hassle to hook everything up and move it all around i'll just buy a long ethernet and hook it up to my router, the router is only 30 ft or so away from my console, not ideal.

If i remember correctly i wanted the tech to set up my router/modem in an easily accessible place namely not the closet. So what do i need to do? Thank you so much for the help.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Homes that are pre-wired for Cat5e typically have a wiring closet or junction box. Each Cat5e run of wire should be a "home run" - i.e. it goes from the wiring closet directly to each room's ethernet port. It is most common to locate the modem, router, and main switch in the wiring closet. The wiring closet then becomes the center of your wired home network in a sort of star configuration.

As wiring closets tend to be out of the way places, it isn't necessarily the best place for the center of your wireless network, though. There are solutions for that (wireless extenders or access points) if it becomes an issue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You have to run ethernet wire from your xb1 to the router.

From your post, it is possible that you have your router in the master bedroom but the modem somewhere else. That setup won't work with your existing wall jacks. Probably your modem is in the place where all the wall jack ethernet cables go. Your router should be moved to where the wall jack cables go, then your xbox can use the wall jack and will be connected to the router.

If you have the router in the master bedroom for wireless, you can put another wireless AP there to expand your wireless throughout the house, since presumably that is the reason you moved the router to the master bedroom in the first place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts