AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the lifespan of cat5e cable in a commerical environment is? This cable is ran in raceways through the ceiling and put into patch panels and wall plates. The reason I ask is we've recently had quite a few issues with computers showing no network connectivity. The switches don't seem to be the culprit as we have multiple switches and the issue has happened on ports plugged into different switches. To fix the issue you have to physically unplug the cable and plug it back in. Doing an ip release and renew does not fix it. We have changed the patch cables between the switch and patch panel as well as the wall jack and the computer.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Does anyone know what the lifespan of cat5e cable in a commerical environment is? This cable is ran in raceways through the ceiling and put into patch panels and wall plates. The reason I ask is we've recently had quite a few issues with computers showing no network connectivity. The switches don't seem to be the culprit as we have multiple switches and the issue has happened on ports plugged into different switches. To fix the issue you have to physically unplug the cable and plug it back in. Doing an ip release and renew does not fix it. We have changed the patch cables between the switch and patch panel as well as the wall jack and the computer.

Any ideas?
What brand of jacks were used?

I tried to save some money by using an off-brand of jacks and had the same sort of problem. OK at first and then got flaky.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Venturing a guess, I'd say poor jacks, or poor termination of said jacks. I doubt the cable would go bad, unless rodents were eating it.
Poor jacks or bad RJ45 connectors are the most likely cause. I was tearing my hair out trying to get cables to work until I discovered that my RJ45 connectors wouldn't work in most jacks. I rebuilt the same cable several times thinking it was my crimping but it was crappy RJ45 connectors. Some computers and devices would work after wiggling the cable and some devices wouldn't work at all. I threw them out and purchased quality brand name RJ45 connectors.

BTW my Cat5e has been working great for 12+ years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts