AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be starting a remodeling project soon. One of the items on the list is to "hard wire" the HTS (blue-ray player, AppleTV, etc) to the router so we don't have to use WiFi for those devices. Being as the ceiling and one of the walls will be open during the remodeling, now would be a good time to drop cable. The run will be under 100' so the idea is to run a Cat5e cable from the "computer room" to the family room. Terminating both ends of the cable with a wall plate keystone jack and then connecting the one end with a patch cable to the router and the other end to a 5-port gigabit switch with another patch cable. Someone mentioned to me that Belden makes excellent Cat5e solid core cable. But going to their website, they have lots of listings for the cable that all sound like they are the same thing. So obviously I'm a bit confused. I know I want solid core Cat5e but can anyone give me a specific part number or specs that I need to look for/ask for? My wiring is about as simple as it comes but I only have one chance to do this right. I've thought about Cat6 but cost is a factor here.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
A 100' spool of in-wall rated, solid (not stranded) cat5e is what you want. For one run of that length I wouldn't be concerned about brand or anything else. Home Depot or any big box hardware store should have small spools of that length. You just don't want the stranded cable...

Jeff

·
Registered
18,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was hoping for. Because of the length (it will probably be more like 50' when installed) I was hoping that brand didn't matter. Already was set on solid core, in-wall. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Also consider cable for a wireless access point, if the walls are open, and you have the extra cable.

·
Registered
18,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad  /t/1472331/cat5e-cable-recommendation/0_20#post_23305387

Also consider cable for a wireless access point, if the walls are open, and you have the extra cable.

Wireless right now is just fine. I'm concerned that after the remodeling of the kitchen, which shares a wall with the family room where the HTS will be, that the double oven (which will be installed directly opposite the HTS) will produce interference.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Just a suggestion for future proofing. Just leave the cable unterminated, and take pics for future reference, so you can find it easily behind drywall.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I hope you're wiring for speakers, too, including subwoofer.

·
Registered
18,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope. Speaker setup is just fine. I just want to bring a wired internet connection to that room. I will install a cable pull next to the Cat-5e, just in case.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
If you're buying a box of category cable, run a second (or third) cable. You can use it as a pull string, if nothing else, but the best reason is for a backup, in case a nail is driven through the first. What other cable will you be pulling with your string, other than another category cable? I guess, maybe, fiber.

If you're buying a premade, terminated cable, then I understand why you want 1.

·
Registered
18,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^ good idea about using a second Cat-5e cable as a "pull string". If I do that, I'll probably never have to use it. But if I don't......

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Yes, Belden makes excellent CAT 5E cable. I used it's Media Twist version in which each pair is bonded together, supposed to be better. I was able to wire my home with leftovers ( lol ) from work. That stuff is damn expensive.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
You'll need to check the math, to see which is cheaper. Keep in mind that cheaper is rarely better, for many people.

Easy to return unused boxes locally, if doing a pre-wire.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
I've used any number of CAT-X cables from purchases on Amazon to Monoprice to my local distributor and Home Depot. Every now and then I'll end up with a cheap roll where you can't tell the colors apart easily, but otherwise, every single cable I've used has performed perfectly and met the needs and expectations of my clients. Monoprice is really nice if you need lots of runs and want different colors. ie: Blue for network, Yellow for Phone, Green for A/V, etc. I've recently been using Genesis cable, which I must say has not performed one bit better than anything else I've ever used.
Cat-X cabling is pretty solid to go with across the board.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1472331/cat5e-cable-recommendation#post_23315558

Cat-X cabling is pretty solid to go with across the board.
History doesn't agree. Under gauge wire from China has been a significant problem, as has cable that doesn't meet flamability standards, and copper coated aluminum wire sold as solid copper. That said, cable from a reliable supplier, like your local big box store or monoprice should be OK. When buying from other sources, the old saying applies: caveat emptor (buyer beware for those of you who weren't forced to learn Latin).

·
Registered
7,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm  /t/1472331/cat5e-cable-recommendation#post_23316749

History doesn't agree. Under gauge wire from China has been a significant problem, as has cable that doesn't meet flamability standards, and copper coated aluminum wire sold as solid copper. That said, cable from a reliable supplier, like your local big box store or monoprice should be OK. When buying from other sources, the old saying applies: caveat emptor (buyer beware for those of you who weren't forced to learn Latin).
Sorry - yeah... Should have added 'from reputable suppliers' - Amazon and eBay not qualifying as such, or at the very least let the buyer beware there!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been doing some searching and it's really hard to tell the difference between various cables. For instance, this one on Amazon is $50/1000 ft vs Monoprice which sells for $80/1000 ft. Any reason I should buy one over the other?

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Cat5e-1000ft-Cable-Solid-Ethernet/dp/B007IIYWE2/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1376420649&sr=1-24&keywords=cat5e+cable+1000ft

Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10233&cs_id=1023303&p_id=877&seq=1&format=2

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Even with shipping, Monoprice is pretty cheap.

Go to Home Depot and/or Lowes, and see how the cost compares. Look for Genesis/Honeywell, Coleman/CCI, Southwire, Cerrowire, General Cable, and Belden.

You want solid, UTP. Does not need to be Riser or Plenum rated, for a residential install, but either will be fine if that's all you find locally. Does not need to be UV rated, unless outdoors. Made in the USA is a bonus, IMHO - look on the box.

Reactions: smenzer
1 - 20 of 28 Posts