First, an overview of my specs:

AMD 2600 Barton

1 gig RAM

ATI Radeon 9600 (non-pro) 256 MB

DVI-Component Dongle

Mits 55809 RPTV

Sonic DVD codec

Meedio

I installed the Catalyst 4.10 drivers over the weekend. I set it up to output 1080i at 1776x1080. That worked great. Very little overscan. I was able to get rid of Powerstrip. Now I wanted to play around a bit more, but for the life of me, I can't find the screen that allowed me to check the boxes for 1080i and 16x9 output. I guess I should take it as a sign - it works, leave it alone!

The other 'good' thing I see with the new driver is that my movies don't stutter. Although I only watched two movies so far, I am confident it will be ok. I was always able to make it fail by either pausing, fast forwarding, or rewinding the movie. When resuming normal viewing it would stutter within minutes.

Now the bad. When using Meedio, all of the screens paint very slowly. It doesn't matter what theme I use. However, when I go into a slide show (using Meedio's built in viewer) the images display immediately. And, like I mentioned above, movies play fine.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this, or have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Barry

·
Registered
630 Posts
i dont use it but i think the screen you are talking about can be found by:

display properties->advanced->displays (tab)->monitor properties (click on your tv or monitor)->troubleshooting (tab)

there you will find force 720p or 1080i

·
Registered
241 Posts
What did they fix (if its not broken dont fix it?) the 4.9 seems to work find right now I would also like to know if anyone uses dual monitors with ATI cards?

Two Cents

·
Registered
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by barry9196

Now the bad. When using Meedio, all of the screens paint very slowly. It doesn't matter what theme I use. However, when I go into a slide show (using Meedio's built in viewer) the images display immediately. And, like I mentioned above, movies play fine.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this, or have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Barry
Try bumping hardware accelleration down one notch, apply it, then bump it back up. I've seen this before but it usually manifests itself first on the start menu redraw.

-Doug

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi,

I'm using Cat 4.10 with Radeon 9800Pro connected via DVI-D to an HS-10. The two options "force 720p" and "force 1080i" work but, as usual with ATI, 540p is sent instead of 1080i. This is clearly visible by the decreased resolution and also showed by HS-10 menù.

Bye,

Jok

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
What other resolutions are supported besides 1080i? Is 540/720p included?
I'm not positive what other resolutions are supported. I saw the one I wanted, clicked it, and was done. As I said in the original post, I could not find my way back to that particular screen. I'll try what shigaloo recommended to see if I can find it again.
Quote:
What did they fix (if its not broken dont fix it?) the 4.9 seems to work find right now I would also like to know if anyone uses dual monitors with ATI cards?
I have not updated in about 6 months, so for me this was a major improvement. No DVD stutter and no need for Powerstrip.
Quote:
Try bumping hardware accelleration down one notch, apply it, then bump it back up. I've seen this before but it usually manifests itself first on the start menu redraw.
I'll give this a shot tonight (hopefully) and report back.

Barry

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DougHamm

-Doug
I've also had this problem after first reboot after installing Cat 4.10. A new restart solved it! I also disabled all ATI background process (hot key, etc.) but I don't think they were the cause.

Bye,

Jok

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I tried bumping the acceleration down, then back again. No good. Any other suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
HTPC has a Radeon 8500 using ATI black (vga) dongle hooked up to Mits 65" 65313

Catalyst 4.1 experience.... not so good.

1776x1000 @ 1080i + no powerstrip = desktop is ok, size wise, not too much overscan but OMG it flickers like the devil. I really tried to like it because powerstrip sucks, but couldn't get flicker under control even at 200% icon size (got better, but never went away). Movies look real good though which is a tragedy. Could not get any other resolution to work without same old ATI massive overscan or windowed resolution.

System restore failed (nooooo!!!!) and had to resinstall powerstrip, I just left the 4.1 catalysts installed. Hauled out the VGA monitor, reset my custom 704x480 @ 1080i and I'm back where I started, clear but huge desktop and ok movies. 704x480 gives nasty widescreen compression on some movies which is why I was trying to scale up. Doh!

3 hours of wasted time.... did not see any benefit to the new drivers.

One of these days I will haul my main box out (geforce 5900) and hook it up straight DVI and see if I get the same problem running 1776x1000. But not today.

·
Registered
241 Posts
its never a waste of time when you go thru all the time and effort to post your results giving the rest of us some time to try other things or just sit back and wait for the next /d.md973?#$n4 installment LOL

Thanks for the info

Two Cents

Starship Warrior

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.