AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Played with it last night - For some reason I cannot find the old Avivo Video settings section (ie De-noise, de-interlace methods etc.)

I must say, I was quite keen to see the new UI for myself (I skipped 9.7). One will always get those who oppose change and thus badmouth a new ui as a result.

But this UI is definitely a step back. The omission/lack of some kind of "tree hierarchy" definitely hampers its usability. A "Back" button would have been nice (Although the home button more or less does the same thing, calling it "Back" would have made more sense)

If you like to systematically work through all the available settings in a "control panel" then you will HATE this UI. Its hard to keep track where you have been already and where not.

This is the first time that I rolled back to an older version of CCC. That should say something..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Installed it on my 4550 based htpc a few days ago together with windows7. Some prelimonry observations. Need a few more hours of testing to really confirm my conclusions but it looks very promising.

1. ATI have fixed [email protected],976Hz! My 9th generation KURO now have perfectly smooth pans. Although previous drivers could seem okey, whatching a movie for just 5-10 minutes revelaed some severe judder. Now it seems as good as my nvidia 9400. This is with the "23Hz" setting inside CCC.

2. With a hdmi connection and [email protected],976 I only have acess to RGB full and RGB limited in pixel format menu (same as previous drivers). Ycbcr options are gone. However, with RGB limited 16-235 I now have blacker than black information preserved inside 7MC for both SD (dvd) and HD (1080p mkv+mp4 test patterns) and black levels are constant.

Before ATI always expanded everything internally and then compressed to 16-235.

However, levels were messed up in windows media player. Only 7MC worked correctly.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzzie /forum/post/17031094

Played with it last night - For some reason I cannot find the old Avivo Video settings section (ie De-noise, de-interlace methods etc.)

I must say, I was quite keen to see the new UI for myself (I skipped 9.7). One will always get those who oppose change and thus badmouth a new ui as a result.

Yeah, they're not there. Started with 9.7 for windows 7. I was a bit disappointed with that as well. Agreed about the tree setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzichrille /forum/post/17031225

Installed it on my 4550 based htpc a few days ago together with windows7. Some prelimonry observations. Need a few more hours of testing to really confirm my conclusions but it looks very promising.

2. With a hdmi connection and [email protected],976 I only have acess to RGB full and RGB limited in pixel format menu (same as previous drivers). Ycbcr options are gone. However, with RGB limited 16-235 I now have blacker than black information preserved inside 7MC for both SD (dvd) and HD (1080p mkv+mp4 test patterns) and black levels are constant.

I have a 4550 as well, I've had 9.7 on windows 7 32 bit, on one occasion. I've had 9.7 on W7 64 bit and 9.8 on 64-bit.

With regards to #2, I haven't got to play with the pixel format on 9.8 at all. But I've had similar problems on W7 32-bit was okay, whereas W7 64-bit acted a bit different.

I have a Panny plasma, 1080p60h, where the pixel format would give me the issues as well, 720p-OK. I have all the pixel format options for 1080p in 9.7 but the only way for it to accept changes was to re-boot, with w7 64-bit, 32-bit would do it automatically. Also I've had more issues with hotkeys in 9.7 64 bit w7 than I care to mention. Where as w7 32 bit 9.7, zero issues.

I use RGB limited as well with 1080p, that seems to make the best combo for me, then I tweaked my TV settings.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
OK, I am pulling my hair out (and there's not much to begin with) but where the heck is pixel format on the 9.8 CCC. I cannot find it at all. I have a 4670 and I am running Vista 32bit.

I hate it when they change the format of a Control Panel and they don't document where they put everything.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzichrille /forum/post/17031225

1. ATI have fixed [email protected],976Hz! My 9th generation KURO now have perfectly smooth pans. Although previous drivers could seem okey, whatching a movie for just 5-10 minutes revelaed some severe judder. Now it seems as good as my nvidia 9400. This is with the "23Hz" setting inside CCC.

Before ATI always expanded everything internally and then compressed to 16-235.

However, levels were messed up in windows media player. Only 7MC worked correctly.

1. I am going to have to test this later and see if I can get it to work on my projector. I had severe tearing on 23hz (23.976) with any BD I played.

2. I still have Ycbcr (on 23hz) showing but it is only 4:4:4, I lost the 4:2:2 option that I had before on 9.6. I will try to see if RGB (Limited) will overcome that.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I got a 4650 and installed this driver after a fresh install of w7 7600 RTM build.

Also, I'm running HDMI to an Onkyo 605 receiver and then to a Panny 1366x768 plasma. My pixels are all smeared looking (using either 1920x1080 or 1366x768 rez). If I switch to the VGA output from the 4650 to the Panny, the picture is much sharper.

I'm also getting choppy playback on some older .mkvs of mine (like my rips of Battlestar season 1 from HD-DVD), but rips from Blu-ray season 4 are smooth. (I use eac3to to rip).

I'm very new at using the ATI hardware as my other HTPCs are all G35 or G45 based, and output to true 1080p displays.

Also, how do I get to the audio settings? The "Configure" button in sound settings in the control panel is greyed out.

Any beginner ATI user advice much appreciated!

·
Registered
134 Posts
After testing some more I can confirm that [email protected],976 is working correctly in my setup, connecting my 4550 to 9th gen KURO. There are no studders. It works. Also, BTB is present both in SD and HD material with the RGB limited setting in CCC under 7MC.

However, audio is not fine. Sadly the audio drifts more and more out of sync when watching a variety of material inside 7MC (only 24p, 59.94Hz is fine).

Is anyone else having the same experience with catalyst 9.8, 7MC, ffdshow audio, latest realtek hdmi audio driver and 24p material?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm using RGB limited and black is grayish on my 500M. When I change actual TV input to 16-235, only then everything becomes black. Is that how it should be, or setting RGB to limited should be sufficient?

Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
My display is underscanning but I can't find where they put the overscan/underscan settings. Any ideas?

This new UI is very frustrating

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gye /forum/post/17099890

My display is underscanning but I can't find where they put the overscan/underscan settings. Any ideas?

This new UI is very frustrating

Desktops and Displays, then click on your display in the bottom left corner (the little black triangle) and go to configure. You should find it there. Confusing, I know. See attached file for more precise instructions.

It doesn't show up for my monitors on my office PC, but it does show up for my LCD TV in the living room.

·
Registered
885 Posts
9.8 works fine for me so far. I'll update if there are any issues, but my needs are very simple.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 /forum/post/17102097

Desktops and Displays, then click on your display in the bottom left corner (the little black triangle) and go to configure. You should find it there. Confusing, I know. See attached file for more precise instructions.

It doesn't show up for my monitors on my office PC, but it does show up for my LCD TV in the living room.

I do this but when I click on configure it just dumps back into the CCC welcome screen. I've got a 4850 connected to a Samsung LCD. Underscanning and I cannot find anywhere to change the setting.

A real pain in the proverbial

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.