AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after about 2 weeks of trying what I can, I'm not sure if I will be able to make my HTPC work with my HTDV. I've written a few posts looking for help, but I'm about to give up. Here's my setup:

XFX 4350 512MB DDR2 Graphics card with svideo/HDTV out

ASUS p5ad2-e premium mobo

2.5 GB of ram

P4 3.4 GHz CPU

Sony KDP-65XBR2 HDTV (older CRT RPTV with only component in)

Windows 7 Professional (fresh, clean install when I got the card)

CCC 10.2 installed (tried 9.8 too,which was on my install CD)

No other software/updates installed

I have both the 9 pin component dongle and a 7 pin component dongle for the TV connection. Neither are providing proper output to the TV, and actually, they both end up with the same result. For some reason, CCC refuses to recognize the TV, and won't give me any opportunity to pick anything so I can try to force an output resolution I know the TV should accept. All I can really try to do is swap the desktop from my LCD monitor to the TV, but I think it's trying to use the same 60Hz LCD video settings when I'm doing this. I just get a B&W image scrolling up the screen, or nothing at all. Does anyone have CCC working in Win7 with component out, and if you do, what rev are you using? I'm about to give up here if I can't make things work soon...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
what resolution are you sending to the TV? Have you tried either one of the "standard" HD resolutions (1280x720p or 1920x1080i).

BB

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually have no way of telling, but I suspect that it is the resolution of my LCD monitor (1920x1050?). It won't let me select anything to send to the TV, since it doesn't even think it's there. Since my monitor runs at 60Hz (and CCC won't let me select otherwise), I think the problem is that the refresh rates between the two is causing the screen scrolling. That's why I'd like to know what CCC versions someone is successfully running for HD through the component cables. It's frustrating that I can't even try to select anything from what I have found...

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I think I have tried everything.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Nvidia is the champ for component out, works right out of the box. When I installed W7 RTM I did have to use a regular DVI monitor (didn't have to with the RC) but component out worked fine once installed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which nvidia cards are the best for doing HTPC? I intend to upconvert DVD's stream blueray, and wartch/record live HDTV with my HTPC. My current setup overheats (85C+!) when recording OTA 1080i, not sure what the limiting component is there. I'd also like to keep my 350W PS in the HTPC box as my 450W PS is very noisy. I was under the impression nvidia makes better gamer cards and ATI makes better HTPC cards. I am open to switching brands if it will make my component constrained life easier, but I'm also curious if there is anything I should be doing with the ATI card that I havent found yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm now looking at both the nvidia 9500 GT and the ATI 4670 cards as potential replacements for the 4350. Here are the ones I'm looking at...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150450
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814103073
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814187035

I do intend to view/record 1080i material from OTA, and I believe that the 9500 may not be a good fit for my P4 3.4 GHz if this is my intention. With the 4350 I already peg the CPU when I record 1080i source material, and it's temp rockets to 80C+. With what I want to do, would the XFX 4750 get the job done? Should I be concerned that it only has DDR2 memory?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
The 9500GT should be more than enough I'm running a 8400gs and it works fine except for some minor stuttering when using aero. The 8600 works perfect and should be comparable to a 9500.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you doing much recording of 1080i material? I read in another thread that the 9500 GT could be problematic for handling 1080i, and that only lower level nvidia cards supported interlaced stuff internally (although maybe this was just deinterlacing?). My ideal solution is that I will be able to hardware upconvert on the GPU and generate the best possible video output of basically all potential sources to my 2003 CRT RPTV. I'm still trying to figure out what the cutoff point is for having a full featured HTPC card (that specifically supports component), without getting into gamer cards that waste power and create excess heat/noise. My impression is that a 4670 w/DDR3 is probably that card in ATI, but not sure if an obvious equivalent exists at nvidia. My biggest concern with ATI at this point is that I have already encountered problems with CCC, and I have no real idea if those problems will persist by simply upgrading the card (although I suspect they will).

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
My TV is a Mitsubishi WS65513 running through the Component input @ 1080i. I have a duet to record OTA signal, LOTS of 1080i recordings. The 8400GS is on my main PC, minimal power use. The only time the picture "skips" is when I have the Media Center OSD overlaid on top of the video.

The 8600 is in my bedroom PC and is used to run my LG 42LH20 and Acer 19" (computer is combo office/HTPC). The 8600 uses more power (has it's own power connector) but I needed something to do dual display.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What CPU do you have paired with the 8400? My only option right now is the P4 3.4 and I don't have the budget to buy anything else if that gets overrun by GPU offloading. In addition to HD recording (which the P4/4350 combo chokes at), the goal of my HTPC is to be able to watch upconverted standard DVD's (which I can't easily do over component via a commercial standalone), as well as blueray once I purchase a reader for the HTPC. Does the 8400 have the guts to process these source images so that I can get roughly equivalent (or better) quality to what I'd see with standalone disc media players over HDCP connections? I love my Sony KDP-65XBR2 RPTV, but I hate the fact that I don't have HDMI, preventing me from seeing anything but broadcast material from my Dish PVR in true HD unless I can make a functioning HTPC. The kids are finally getting old enough that the wife and I would like to enjoy some spare time watching movies again, and use the theater room for what it was made for and capable of!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18317621

Nvidia is the champ for component out, works right out of the box. When I installed W7 RTM I did have to use a regular DVI monitor (didn't have to with the RC) but component out worked fine once installed.

Everyone has their own experience. I bought a BFG 9400GT specifically for component out and it didn't work properly. It's been gathering dust for two years while the Sapphire 4550 that replaced it has been an absolute gem.

I did have problems with the Catalyst drivers defaulting to a PAL resolution. The solution was to boot into VGA mode and then check the appropriate resolutions in CCC.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunnill /forum/post/18332676

Everyone has their own experience. I bought a BFG 9400GT specifically for component out and it didn't work properly. It's been gathering dust for two years while the Sapphire 4550 that replaced it has been an absolute gem.

I did have problems with the Catalyst drivers defaulting to a PAL resolution. The solution was to boot into VGA mode and then check the appropriate resolutions in CCC.

Not sure what you mean when you say to boot into VGA mode, can you please explain? What version of CCC are you running? I have 10.2 in win7 and have yet to find any resolutions that are selectable for the TV. It only gives me options for the 21" LCD monitor, and when I attempt to duplicate the display to the TV (tried several available resolutions), I get a blank screen or a scrambled pic. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
You can't duplicate the display, you have to use extend mode. You monitor and TV are different resolutions, clone mode only works with same resolution.

The 8400 has enough guts to do H.264 and DVD upconvert with very little CPU use. I have a 4850e processor. I don't have a BR drive, still waiting for the prices to drop some more.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I could be remembering the exact settings I tried wrong (and PC is currently disconnected from TV so the family can use working things again), but the only available option to switch the monitor display to the TV was to "only show on 2" via CCC or to "duplicate display" via the windows display options. Extend display gave some sort of error about how it was unable to do that operation in my given setup. "Only show on 2" seemed to try to send the monitor resolutions to the TV, which resulted in the garbled screen. The only options available were 59/60 hz refresh, and the TV didn't seem to like that (although it says it will take 720P). I don't remember if I tried 480 over component at that rate though, simply because the overscan is so high that I'd lose the task bar (from what I'd learned from an experiment using a true s-video connection).

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C T Riopelle /forum/post/18332957

Not sure what you mean when you say to boot into VGA mode, can you please explain? What version of CCC are you running? I have 10.2 in win7 and have yet to find any resolutions that are selectable for the TV. It only gives me options for the 21" LCD monitor, and when I attempt to duplicate the display to the TV (tried several available resolutions), I get a blank screen or a scrambled pic. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Press F8 just after the BIOS screen flashes on bootup. You should get a menu with "VGA mode" as one of the selections. Use it.

Once you're booted up in low resolution mode, open CCC, navigate to the component video settings, and set the modes your display is capable of. After that, they'll show in the regular Windows display settings.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
did the F8 thing with it just hooked up to the LCD monitor and the only options I got was which drive to boot from. I know my laptop gives me several options under F8, including safe mode, so maybe my BIOS doesn't support forced booting into VGA?

FYI, my version of Catalyst in Win7 (10.2) does not give any tabs/screens that talk about component settings. I'd really like to know what version of CCC you guys are using in Win7 with your component TV's. The 9.8 CCC that came with the card doesn't show component tabs in win7 either, although the interface when I tried to poke around in XP looked similar to what I have seen on some screens as having an explicit menu for component settings. These didn't show up for me though, but I didn't try too hard since I'm not going to run XP for this box.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
In that case, try booting with the LCD and then setting your resolution to 640x480 before rebooting with the component display connected.

The component options only show if Catalyst detects a component connection.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll try that next time I get a chance to hook up to the HVTV. My concern though is that since Catalyst isn't auto detecting my TV, it appears it may never enable the menus that allow me to bump up to HD resolutions for component output. I remember seeing something in one of the menus saying that in order to set custom resolution, I would need to successfully set an HD resolution first. Would my limitation be tied to the EDID (or lack thereof) for my TV, or should simply changing to a new flavor/level of card fix that?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just spent 15 minutes playing around and something is pretty f'd up somewhere. It will boot OK over component, screen displays fine, all the way through the windows hello page. Then, when the OS kicks over to the windows log in page, it switches a setting (I'm assuming refresh rate), and the screen scrolls. Color is OK, but I can't make out my position well enough to try hitting adjusting any controls. This happens even after I successfully change the settings on my monitor to 480/60Hz on the LCD. It will however, let me boot/enter windows successfully over s-video, and it even oddly enough let me set my screen resolution at 1080/29Hz. I seriously doubt that it was doing that over s-video, but that what CCC said.

My component in connectors state that it should accept 480i/480p/720p/1080i, so I'm at a loss as to why my video card is unable to kick out something for it to display properly at windows startup.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts