AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have heard of these but no one at Home Depot could think of one. I'm trying to find a mechanism that will allow me to attach a horizontal upper mask to the inside of a wooden valance. This mask, made out of thin plywood painted black, needs a vertical sliding device that would have an "up" locking position to keep the mask hidden behind the valance when not in use. To activate the release of the mask you simply push up and the catch releases and gravity drops the mask. Think of drawer slides mounted vertically but only about six inches in length. There would be three of these catch and release slides; both ends and one in the middle. When the movie is over the screen is rolled back up and the mask is pushed back up until it catches and stays hidden.

Anyone know of this device?

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn't find any hardware in those links except maybe this as a starter:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2325

This would work if you could mount them vertically in the closed position, push up to release down, and then push up from extended to closed and locked when the mask wasn't needed.

Jack

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sorry, I didn't read your original post throughly enough; I thought you were just looking for the catch and release mechanism.

I'm not aware of any specific hardware set that does what you require, but perhaps those mini-slides would work.

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My latest thought is to attach the mini-slider base(s) to the front of the screen casing. Then the 10" x 92" mask is attached to the mini-slider slider. I now have a gravity falling mask that will slide down from above to cover the top part of the screen. To keep it in a raised position when the screen is rolled up I can attach three 90 degree hinges to the inside of the valance that are rotated open so that the bottom of the raised mask will rest on them. As long as one doesn't walk up to the screen and peer up they will not be noticed.

How does that sound?

·
Registered
419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB /forum/post/15455595

My latest thought is to attach the mini-slider base(s) to the front of the screen casing. Then the 10" x 92" mask is attached to the mini-slider slider. I now have a gravity falling mask that will slide down from above to cover the top part of the screen. To keep it in a raised position when the screen is rolled up I can attach three 90 degree hinges to the inside of the valance that are rotated open so that the bottom of the raised mask will rest on them. As long as one doesn't walk up to the screen and peer up they will not be noticed.

How does that sound?

That would work as long as the hinges would not be in the way of the panel dropping.

Depending on how thick the panel is, you might be able to use one of these solutions (mounted vertically rather than horizontally):

Safe Push Touch Latch

Brass ball catch

Titan Magnetic Catch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts