23,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason my DVD rental store puts out some rentals before

the "official" release date.

Last nigh I watched, "Catch Me If You Can" with Tom Hanks

and Leonardo DiCaprio(?). Christopher Walken also did a good

job in the movie.

The movie was based on a true story of an con-man/check forger

(17 yr old passing himself off as a co-pilot for Pan Am!) in the late 60's.

I enjoyed the movie and is definitely a "must" for a rental.

The PQ was great, anamorphic 1.85, DD an DTS. However, I don't recall

hearing much from the surrounds - not really an "action" movie.

larry

·
Registered
488 Posts
Larry:

I received my dvd on Thurs and watched it that afternoon.

I had been disappointed in SS's AI and MINORITY REPORT; they just didn't do it for me. I broke my rule of never buying a dvd of a movie that I had never seen by purchasing CMIYC and I was not disappointed. As a matter of fact I was very entertained by this movie. In a word:CLEVER. It was stylish, humorous, touching, well casted and thusly acted, just a pleasure.

The second disc with "the making of", etc was enjoyable and interesting, esp the comments by the production designer. Man, does SS get involved in every facet of his film making; even more than I had ever expected. Talk about DIRECTING!

I used to not take Leonardo DiCaprio too seriously but he is getting to be a better actor with each film. Hanks is marvelous, as usual, in his role. Walken should have won BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR for his job. Notice how

SS was taken with the scene where he began weeping when he was in a discussion with his son in the restaurant-interesting.

Gotta disagree with you a hair about the sound; I thought it was quite good, from the scene in the rain at the beginning (i ran to get my umbrella-the drops were hitting all around me) to the great sound tracks of the period.

Great film! I was just sitting there shaking my head at Abagnale's audacity. Even though he was dishonest you found yourself in his corner because he was so outrageous and such a likeable guy.

Entertaining and uplifting!

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
i thought leo's performance in titantic cemented him as a legit star...as far as acting ability goes...i beleive he was snubbed big time for a oscar nod from that movie.

brickie

·
23,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eddie - I too was underwhelmed by Minority Report. About the

sound on CMIYC- I didn't mean to imply it was bad. It definitely

was "real", but it's not a DD or DTS "show off" DVD. My favorite

part in the movie (not a spoiler at all) was when Frank "turned

the tables" on the ex-model.

larry

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Wow. I thought CMIYC was enjoyable but definitely a bit of a fluff piece after the excellent A.I. and Minority Report. I thought of it as a bit of a step back for Speilberg if not at least a breather.

Anyway that's what makes the movies (in general) great - the range of opinion they bring out.

·
23,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the part of Minority Report that bothered me the most

was Tom Cruise. I just can't take him anymore. Somebody else

in his role problaby would have made a BIG difference for me.

larry

·
Registered
447 Posts
I saw CMIYC in the theater not long ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I found it to be masterful storytelling and a real testament to Spielberg's ability as a director. No special effects, just a great story, expertly acted, paced and with a coherent style.

______

Glade

·
Registered
218 Posts
I read Abagnale's book several years ago and was not disappointed with CMIYC. Of coarse, the film took a few liberties, but overall it stayed true to the actual events.

I was about to mention one humorous event that was played down in the film that centers around the character portrayed by Jennifer Garner. Hilarious! I do not want to spoil it, so you will just have to read the book!

I am looking forward to purchasing this disc tomorrow.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looking forward to at least a rental and if I like it, I may buy.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
While I enjoyed the movie very much I wasn't overly impressed with the picture quality. In the bright areas of the movie such as the sky there seemed to be to much mpeg noise. Maybe it was film grain but, I'm not sure. The other issue was halos or ringing around objects otherwise know as edge enhancement, especially noticed in the opening credits.

Tom

·
Registered
488 Posts
Tom: while I appreciate what you are saying, I would much rather have a movie with some substance and good acting even if it has a so-so video quality (great to have the whole monty) than say... Super Bit HOLLOW MAN...which has great video and audio but is kind of stupid. I will take the trade off for an exemplary movie like CMIYC.

Just my opinion,

Ernie

·
Registered
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Bley
While I enjoyed the movie very much I wasn't overly impressed with the picture quality. In the bright areas of the movie such as the sky there seemed to be to much mpeg noise. Maybe it was film grain but, I'm not sure. The other issue was halos or ringing around objects otherwise know as edge enhancement, especially noticed in the opening credits.

Tom
Hi Tom,

----------- I noticed the same thing.......... surprised to see the amount of "grain" but after "Minority Report" maybe SS used it again??

Regards, Tom B

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Worst EE I've seen in a while :(. Even saw some triple halos! Contrast sucked too! Sorry, but it ruined the movie for me. Why Spielberg would approve that, as much as he's into perfection, I don't understand.

·
Registered
369 Posts
dreamworks are in a slump in regard to the quality of their video output. they certainly like their halo enhancement. god forbid they ever release a DVD without this crap.

road to perdition, minority report and now this one are all victims of this disease. funny to think DW used to way up there. what happenend ?????

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I am also amazed that a first rate winner like this film is not breaking new ground in pq.When second rate films like Ghost Ship or Below are released with great reference quality pq and major releases have problems someone is missing the point.With all the box office these films generate they should hold back the DVD a while and get the transfer perfect to give people who saw the film in theaters a reason to buy or rent the DVD instead of pushing the film out as quick as possible on DVD with inferior pq.Major box office winners should be released as ground breaking DVDs that set new standards for the format.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Originally posted by mattg3:

Quote:
With all the box office these films generate they should hold back the DVD a while and get the transfer perfect to give people who saw the film in theaters a reason to buy or rent the DVD instead of pushing the film out as quick as possible on DVD with inferior pq.
I agree but as if HOLLYWEIRD ever gave a s**t about us - all they want is the almighty dollar (and the sooner, the better!) Once again, because most of us that are into PQ and have the equipment to critque PQ, are in the minority, HOLLYWEIRD doesn't care. Most people that rent and buy DVD's, still view them with a 27" or less TV. PQ isn't really much of a concern at those levels and most wouldn't care nor could they really pick up on things like EE with that type of equipment. Guess we'll have to wait until we're in the majority before this problem is ever resolved!:mad:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Maybe it takes reference PQ to sell a cruddy movie, but with a good movie, they can sell you three times on the standard, director's cut and superbit editions??

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I too was very disappointed with the PQ...no EE on my system, but some noise, and a soft image, not much fine detail...over filtered I suppose.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just rented this movie tonight and I must say, I thought the PQ was actually decent! I had no EE and there was certainly enough detail. I didn't think it was too soft at all. The sound track was OK at best but then, this isn't the type of movie that's meant to rely on sound effects to get its point across.

I would have to say that this movie is a decent 'watch'.

Robert N.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.