AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Cat 2 HDMI have a higher bandwidth in order to pass the HD audio codecs,or did I seem to misunderstand something I read somewhere? If answered already,forgive my ignorance.

TIA...

·
Registered
92 Posts
HD audio only uses a small fraction of the bandwidth. The video stream is what sets the operating data rate. Cat 2 HDMI is to allow "deep color" at 1080p 60Hz, and possibly higher resolutions and frame rates.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiberOpticDude /forum/post/15510545

HD audio only uses a small fraction of the bandwidth. The video stream is what sets the operating data rate. Cat 2 HDMI is to allow "deep color" at 1080p 60Hz, and possibly higher resolutions and frame rates.

So cat 2 compared with cat 1,all things being equal,does not have an advantage in the hd codec realm?Meaning that the audio quality makes no difference with either category cable.

I swear I read somewhere that the audio quality is enhanced in Cat 2 cables. I guess you can't believe some of the stuff posted,thanks dude.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Both HDMI audio and video are digital. As is typical of all things digital, it tends to work perfectily, until you reach a cliff, at which point it starts to work very badly. Thus if the video and audio look and sound okay with a Cat 1 cable, that's as good as it gets.

Cat 2 cables are verified to handle higher frequency signals, but Cat 1 cables, especially the shorter lengths, may also transmit such signals without a problem. They just haven't been verified for those higher frequencies.

Many misconceptions about HDMI are the result of people still applying characteristics of analog frequency response and signal degradation, which they are somewhat familar with, to the digital domain. It don't work that way.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrdee /forum/post/15510434

Does Cat 2 HDMI have a higher bandwidth in order to pass the HD audio codecs,or did I seem to misunderstand something I read somewhere? If answered already,forgive my ignorance.

TIA...

No. They just, in theory, will have higher bandwidth. This helps signals go farther at higher bitrates, but if the cable works you are getting everything regardless of what's stamped on the package. If it doesn't work it's obvious because you won't have a picture. The challenge really only occurs at distance.

·
23,032 Posts

Quote:
I swear I read somewhere that the audio quality is enhanced in Cat 2 cables. I guess you can't believe some of the stuff posted,thanks dude.

Unfortunately the S/N ratio in most public forums is quite low. Very few people purposely post incorrect info, but most don't take the time to verify/understand what they read and repeat it.

larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts