AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I'm working on a house and I'm at a block. I have a room roughly 22'X18' with 17' Cathedral ceilings and only three walls are closed. The open wall has a rock fire place from floor reaching all the way up to the ceiling measuring 4'W x 17'H. The TV will be installed over the fire place and I was thinking of only putting an LCR surface mount speaker and that's it. Originally the customer wanted me to add a complete home theater without adding any acoustic treatment. Now he's looking at installing Bose speakers with the equalization.

I know not too much about acoustics, but I know that a cathedral ceiling without any acoustic panels is a nightmare waiting to happen. Can the Bose system really turn this place into a better environment.

Thanks everyone...

·
Registered
27,418 Posts
Likely they want Bose because of the small size. THey likely aren't too worried about acoustics. Give them what they want after telling them that bigger speakers will be better (get a feel for the max size they can live with).

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/18159304

Likely they want Bose because of the small size. THey likely aren't too worried about acoustics. Give them what they want after telling them that bigger speakers will be better (get a feel for the max size they can live with).

I totally agree with you thebland, that's the problem though. I really don't like sell something to a client even though it doesn't sound good. It's not even a question about loosing or making a sale, it's more a question of "is it going to sound good" regardless if it's a bose or not. Even when I sold Bose, I always quotted it to small environment applications which sounded great, or else always opted for bigger more realistic size speaker with a better frequency range.

·
Premium Member
26,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e39mofo /forum/post/18159404

I totally agree with you thebland, that's the problem though. I really don't like sell something to a client even though it doesn't sound good. It's not even a question about loosing or making a sale, it's more a question of "is it going to sound good" regardless if it's a bose or not. Even when I sold Bose, I always quotted it to small environment applications which sounded great, or else always opted for bigger more realistic size speaker with a better frequency range.

Why would you sell Bose speakers to someone when there are other "small speakers" that are a better value and equal or surpass Bose in performance?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/18159545

Why would you sell Bose speakers to someone when there are other "small speakers" that are a better value and equal or surpass Bose in performance?

There ya go. I have found that people who are unsure of something tend to gravitate to something their friends have, etc. For comfort They do this because they are nervous. You're the expert. Provide the data

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/18159545

I wouldn't, but when I customer wishes it, and/or demands it, when in the right application, I would go ahead. I personally am not a big fan of Bose, and I have access to lines that I prefer and for less expensive even in the higher end. You can't argue with the customer. You can provide the data and only help guide him to a speaker he will like.

Besides, I don't have access to Bose anymore because I wanted to get away from that market. But as Ted White mentionned, most of the time, they have heard it from a friends place and the Bose systems do sound not have bad, but like you said once you give them a demo and "provide the data" to other components out there, they get a better picture.

But I'm still stuck with the situation of the Cathedral ceilings and I'm curious to see what you guys think, can the Bose really get rid of the acoustic complications of a Cathedral ceiling?

·
Registered
435 Posts
If the customer is insisting on doing something without listening, I think the customer is going to be hard pressed to hear a real "difference" when the sound escapes up into the high ceiling...

I'd also be worried about mounting the TV over the fireplace, but that's a whole other issue...

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Sounds just like my son's new home. It is a total echo chamber. High ceilings and open area. He has in-wall Bose, but I don't think it matters. It's difficult to hold a conversation in that space, let alone listen to speakers. I don't care what you put in that space, it will sound horrible.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ /forum/post/18160223

Sounds just like my son's new home. It is a total echo chamber. High ceilings and open area. He has in-wall Bose, but I don't think it matters. It's difficult to hold a conversation in that space, let alone listen to speakers. I don't care what you put in that space, it will sound horrible.

That's what I was thinking... Thanks HeyNow

·
Registered
871 Posts
just install the stupid Bose system and keep on going, not going to make a bit of difference what this sounds like to the customer.

And no the Bose Eq or whatever is called won't fix a bad room.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Don't give in to the customer...

BOSE means Buy Other Sound Equipment!

With that said - have them buy other, comparable in size, sound equipment.

Send them this link: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaves /forum/post/18174642

just install the stupid Bose system and keep on going, not going to make a bit of difference what this sounds like to the customer.

And no the Bose Eq or whatever is called won't fix a bad room.

LOL...Thanks bluewaves, I know some of the mic eq's can help, but like you said, not fix a bad room.

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
I dont dispute the fact the some of you dont like bose. The wave technology used here in the cubes and in the sub surpasses all others and will sound much better, to reduce the echo effects in this kind of scenario would be to to install and point down at a 45 degree angle with respect to grade/floor at point where the pillars stop and the cieling starts so the sound is concentrated at the right or the left ear. perform a speaker calibration with a dolby sorround/ DTS master true HD setting on the A/V recvr. I have done this and it is excellant. no acoustic panels or any of that required. ensure the floor is carpeted not on a bare floor and the insulation inside the dry wall is min R30 grade.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
/starts popping the corn and gets ready for the show...

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adesiraju /forum/post/18197953

... and the insulation inside the dry wall is min R30 grade.

Why is this significant for in-room acoustics?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/18198160

/starts popping the corn and gets ready for the show...

Scoot over and hand me some, this is going to get good....

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Sure, just no double dipping on the nachos.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
When I encountered such customers in the past, I calmly explained to them that I am not an equipment supplier, but rather an expert in the industry. If they wanted to ignore my advice and put in what they choose to, that is their perogative, but it is my duty to tell them what would be best, in my expert opinion and why. (The why is very important otherwise it comes down to who they trust more, you or the national advertising campaign that will never go away).

Make your explanation simple, at the level of technical detail where they are comfortable and then let them decide how best to spend their money. My opinion, it is a pretty easy task.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts