AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have and love our cats. Right now we watch TV in our family room and the speakers are mounted into the wall and there is no acoustic materials anywhere. The cats love to curl up in our laps and generally hang out with us, and we love it too.

In our new home, current in design, we will have a media room where again expect the cats to hang out with us.

Now my concerns are the acoustic materials and speaker cloth grills since we like the sound of a floor mound enclosed unit much better than an in- wall design.

Do any of you have cats, and, if so, how much problem have you had with them scratching the acoustical materials and the speaker cloth covers? And do you have any suggestions to help reduce problems? (Don't try to suggest that we ban the cats from the room, since that is not a solution that fits the way we like to live.)

Thanks

·
Banned
38 Posts
Also assuming de-clawing is out of the question(I won't de-claw a cat, but I don't begrudge people who do)...

You might look for "cat impervious" material. It does exist. There have been speakers made(Vandersteen* I think advertises it) with "cat claw proof" fabric.

*if not Vandersteen...somebody else might chime in with who it is/was.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
How do you stop them from clawing your furniture? I'd just buy em a nice new scratch pole and be done with it...

.....that or get a dog

What sort of panels are you thinking about? I'd look at something that is polyester based, not glass

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Some speakers use Perforated metal for grills - and they could be made to replace ones you get that have speaker cloth.

For wall acoustic treatments - maybe ok as long as they aren't too near the ground?

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
We currently have 8 cats, down from a one time high of 12 indoor cats. House is 1300 sqf.. You obviously have some furniture now what have they damaged? How do you prevent them from doing damage?

A good scratching post, and lots of attention can help. If your cats do start scratching, they sell little rubber claw covers that are applied with crazy glue.. not an easy task but do work for a while till the claw is shed. There are air fresheners that release happy cat pheromones the relax the cats. There are spays (apple bitter) the will help deter them.. do a google and see what has worked for others.

I obviously believe in declawing at a young age, and I also have come to realize that if you have pets, don't expect to have nice things for very long.. just like having a child.. I can very clearly remember getting yelled out every time I scratched up the nice wood cabinet in the living room as a child..

Good luck, and enjoy your cats, they will only be with you for a very short time.. the years pass very fast.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My cats aren't allowed in the theater. I feel bad for one of my cats as he's more a lap dog than anything else. However, there are too many places that are somewhat accessible with wiring, etc. I might be a bit more comfortable as time moves on.

My other cat will NEVER be allowed in the theater. He has chewed through cables like nobody's business (8 Dock Connector cables so far and a Mac Air power cable).

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Cats scratch. For most cats, you'll never effectively teach them not to scratch certain things. The best you can do is lock them out of the room when you're not in it and keep the ol spray bottle on hand when you are in there together.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,251 Posts
When you build your new theater buy extra matching fabric for your acoustical treatments. You could consider building a false wall and using an AT screen which places all the speakers out of sight. For the wall use a tough fabric designed for office cubicles. GOM FR701 for instance. My front wall is now Black Micro Velvet and I'm not sure if cats could get a hold of the weave.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Sorry, couldn't help myself!

·
Registered
6,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20852344

When you build your new theater buy extra matching fabric for your acoustical treatments. You could consider building a false wall and using an AT screen which places all the speakers out of sight. For the wall use a tough fabric designed for office cubicles. GOM FR701 for instance. My front wall is now Black Micro Velvet and I'm not sure if cats could get a hold of the weave.

You don't have cats with claws do you!~

With a soft smooth surface they are less likely.. Cubical fabric (GOM FR701) = SCRATCHING POST/climbing wall!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20854022

Declawing is horrendous and cruel. There's a reason it's illegal in most of the world.

Somewhat disagree but this in not the time/place for this discussion. Lets just say the financial investment into one's home theater far out weighs the little bit of discomfort in a cat's early days after being de-clawed. But lets compare your stance to circumcision.....that's also cruel and horrendous........right??

·
Registered
892 Posts
I think if you provide some posts with positive reinforcement and then give them a squirt with a squrit gun if they eyeball your treatments you would be OK.

My problem is cats (one specifically) chewing through cables. Not normally an issue for most tehaters, I have some plastic tubing I'm using ATM.

I will be getting fabric recliners since mine still have their back claws.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Laser declawing is not nearly as barbaric as the crushing amputation with surgical snips. Laser reduces the healing time, pain, and risk of infection by instantly cauterizing the amputation site blood vessels, soft tissues and nerves. The younger the better, but middle aged cats tolerate a laser declaw fairly well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cats do not all behave or respond the same. I have main speakers that are covered head to toe in a fabric speaker cloth. For the first year and a half our first cat never so much as looked at them. Then I started traveling a lot for work and after a month of that she started going after them. It was pretty obvious she figured out she could get attention (even if it was very negative) by going after them. She has never touched furniture, loves her scratching posts, and is not bothered by water.

I ended up having to build "cases" for them when not in use. If we are not in the room there is no problem, but it is a family room so we are there a lot without having the theater going.

Our second cat has taken it to the next level- jumping onto the cases and then jumping onto the center channel above the tv. So now the center channel is covered by a big plastic tote bin to protect it. The apple bitter type products do not seem to phase them one bit. I did find that they hate the smell of oranges/ grapefruits.

For about 8 months we had to keep them out of the room when watching movies. Then we transitioned to letting them in but having some orange peels around the towers (what we do for our pets...). Now we can usually let them in and be ok without any peels- but we must be forever vigilant.

I guess the point of my ramblings is it takes determination, experimentation, and patience.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I commend your efforts, which looks to be successful. Laser declawing should only be considered as a last resort.

·
Banned
719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20854022

Declawing is horrendous and cruel. There's a reason it's illegal in most of the world.

It absolutely is!

It is fascinating to listen to so many blame the cat for their failure to provide a more attractive and suitable surface for the cat to do what is natural.

Scratching is necessary to facilitate the shedding of nail sheaths as well as for instinctive territorial marking (just as they do when 'padding').

A cat will also develop other MUCH less attractive habits to compensate for the lack of claws - such a batting and biting - it is NOT a reasonable solution for the negligence of an owner.

And climbing and perching on high ledges is also NATURAL for cats! So provide them a suitable comfortable alternative. Especially as they will prefer a WARM spot when the weather is cool.

So, if you have a cat, show half as much innovation and initiative to provide them with suitable outlets for scratching and climbing as you claim to do in setting up a home theater. You chose to have a cat, now assume the responsibility for providing for their needs - and scratching is a NEED, not an option, for a cat.

...Especially considering that there are MANY of us who have had Many cats and who have provided suitable alternatives that do not have the problems some complain about.

And if you simply lack the wherewithal to be creative enough to solve the problem, simply place a light gauge black woven wire mesh spaced an inch or so in front of the precious surface that you want protected. And while one is at it, use the aptly provided closets to lock up any small children and errant guests who might touch something they should not...

Its always a bit disconcerting to listen to novel ways to mutilate other creatures as a result of our failure to assume proper responsibility. I can only imagine what creative solutions such wonderful parents have devise for addressing the natural habits and inclinations of their small children.... I'm curious as to how such innovation(sic) parents deal with a child prior to their learning proper management of their bowels - or crying?

·
Registered
6,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfyr /forum/post/21327793

It absolutely is!

It is fascinating to listen to so many blame the cat for their failure to provide a more attractive and suitable surface for the cat to do what is natural.

Scratching is necessary to facilitate the shedding of nail sheaths as well as for instinctive territorial marking (just as they do when 'padding').

A cat will also develop other MUCH less attractive habits to compensate for the lack of claws - such a batting and biting - it is NOT a reasonable solution for the negligence of an owner.

And climbing and perching on high ledges is also NATURAL for cats! So provide them a suitable comfortable alternative. Especially as they will prefer a WARM spot when the weather is cool.

So, if you have a cat, show half as much innovation and initiative to provide them with suitable outlets for scratching and climbing as you claim to do in setting up a home theater. You chose to have a cat, now assume the responsibility for providing for their needs - and scratching is a NEED, not an option, for a cat.

...Especially considering that there are MANY of us who have had Many cats and who have provided suitable alternatives that do not have the problems some complain about.

And if you simply lack the wherewithal to be creative enough to solve the problem, simply place a light gauge black woven wire mesh spaced an inch or so in front of the precious surface that you want protected. And while one is at it, use the aptly provided closets to lock up any small children and errant guests who might touch something they should not...

Its always a bit disconcerting to listen to novel ways to mutilate other creatures as a result of our failure to assume proper responsibility. I can only imagine what creative solutions such wonderful parents have devise for addressing the natural habits and inclinations of their small children.... I'm curious as to how such innovation(sic) parents deal with a child prior to their learning proper management of their bowels - or crying?

Sorry .. had to bite.. shouldn't really bother .. know better .. but just can not resist.. but wait this is AVS not the PITA forum... and no matter what I say I am wrong.. Ok.. deleting my post..

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes /forum/post/21327930

but wait this is AVS not the PITA forum...

Now hold on one gosh darn minute.....are we on AVS, PITA, or People Eating Tasty Animals forum...I'm getting confused.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts