AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's very annoying to spend all this money on HDTV gear, invite people over to see a HTDV broadcast (Enemy of the State, KTRK, Houston, May 25) and have to apologise for sound sync problems!

What is the cause of these problems?

1) Out of sync to the local stations? (not likely, all ABC affiliates would be affected)

2) Bad setting on encoding equipment at the affiliate? (possible, don't know enough to be sure)

3) Bad software/hardware on my STB (Samsung SIR-T150), possible

4) Flaw in the standards that allow sync to "drift"?

Whatever it is, something needs to be done about it! HDTV will never catch on if you can't even watch a movie without people laughing about "maybe it needs subtitles, maybe it was originally in Japanese!"

Trouble is, I don't even know who to complain to.......

·
Registered
237 Posts
I echo your concerns about the lip sync problem. I experience the same thing on the local ABC affiliate WTNH-DT in CT. I also have the same STB as you (Samsung). As this is the only HDTV channel I can receive I don't have anything else to compare it with. As the lip sync problem always exists, the STB is now a big, expensive paperweight. Inquires to WTNH-DT have gone unanswered so I don't know where the source of the problem is.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've had sync issues, too. A quick phone call to the local station cleared it right up. Just call the main line of your local station and ask for Engineering. So far, I've had nothing but the nicest of responses, and quick action to correct problems.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I have seen sync problems at one time or another on almost every channel in Seattle, more so on ABC network stuff. It is usually corrected fairly quickly since people are calling the stations more often now. But it sure is irritating, like you say, when showing off your stuff. Sean is right - call 'em up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.