AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very few people have reported problems when upgrading the firmware via ethernet on the Toshiba. But of those few whose player has been rendered inoperable, :eek: a trend has begun to emerge. Leaving a disk in the tray during the ethernet upgrade process apparently may lead in some circumstances to a problem that renders the machine inoperable. After powering up the unit, it freezes on the "welcome" screen and will not respond to the remote or front panel controls (other than reset). It looks like this happens after an ethernet upgrade fails and the player reboots but can't retry the upgrade process because of a disk is in the tray. There is apparently nothing that can be done to correct the problem other than to send the unit back to Toshiba for repair. This has been seen on 2.0 (which I can personally attest to) and apparently prior upgrades as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post8293003

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post8293023

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=707556

Update:

Here is a how-to link for failsafe upgrading via a FW disk rather than ethernet:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post8298174

Here is a good how-to link for burning a FW image to disk:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=729817

Here is a link describing how to download the official Toshiba v2.00 FW:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=729652

Here is a link to 2.0 related upgrade issues:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=715253

Here is a helpful link on the "HDMI Error" msg problem:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...61#post8337061

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Mark, thanks for the heads up. This should save people some headaches.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is there anyway to abort the upgrade process once it's been started? Mine is still running and I have a non HD DVD in the drive. :(

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If it is still under 40-50% (this part is still in the download phase i believe) complete you might be able to hit the eject button. I am not sure though so do it at your own risk.

Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
OH THANK GOD IT STILL WORKS! :)

Pushing the eject button didn't even work at 20%. The player finished it's update cycle like normal and shut down. Instead of using the power button, I turned it on with the eject button so that I wouldn't have to wait until the disk had already started playing to get it to eject. I don't know if that made a difference, but who knows. I've popped in Pitch Black and I don't seem to have any issues yet.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Great Congrats for the quick thinking.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who knows what the exact failure mechanism is. It may be the case that having a disk in the player is fine unless something else in the upgrade process goes wrong.

As an example, I could see a scenario where the player attempts to read a disk after a failed ethernet upgrade which causes the player to reboot and look for a disk. If there is an upgrade disk loaded it merily continues the upgrade process and if there is no disk it reverts to the prior (saved) FW. But if there is a disk that isn't a valid upgrade disk, it may end up assuming it's an upgrade disk and attempts to continue the upgrade only to be fail when it reads the actual data and thereby permanently glitches the box. It's the odd case that usually causes bugs. I'm not saying that this is the problem, just that this is an example of a scenario that could happen where an upgrade with a disk goes fine (most of the time).

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr
but then you would have a disc in the drive and it would cause the problem! ;)
No when you update with a firmware update disc part of the canned process at update completion is to open the disc tray, and it very slowly does a Goodby to a full power off. Wait for it.

The User then removes the update disc and should (the first time IMO) power up the player after a few (10?) seconds of full power off idle time and then check every thing first with the setup menu. I've done this too many times the past few days (tempting fate I know ;) ), but have not been bit yet.

Yes, ethernet updates MUST be done with no disc in the tray! And wait for the player to automatically shut itself off at the update completion before doing anything.

Good job posting this warning Mark!

Bob

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Actually, when you update from a burned disc. The firmware loading software opens the player's disc tray BEFORE rebooting. The same SHOULD be done when the update comes via ethernet download too. THAT is the "potential" problem.

ROBBERRY might have been fine with a disc still in the player, or he might not have. He was smart and while it was still off he used a paperclip to manually open the tray WHILE the player was still off.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Great thread!

I'm going to wait a little while longer before downloading 2.0 via ethernet just because of some of the bugs and complaints I've seen around here and other forums. I want to make sure I don't download something that creates more problems than it fixes. ;)

·
Premium Member
24,145 Posts
I plan to wait for the disc since usually if there are reported issues they seem to get ironed out by the time the disc gets released... :)

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod
I plan to wait for the disc since usually if there are reported issues they seem to get ironed out by the time the disc gets released... :)

Even past direct ethernet download? Hmmm, maybe I should just get on the mailing list and do it that way...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Unfortunately, saw this thread after I began the d/l and I've got a disc in. To make matters scarier, the disc "Phantom of the Opera" gave me "no disc" the 1st time I tried to play it, so now I'm worried I'll get the error. It's currently been at "0%" for the last 5mins, so I got my fingers crossed. Won't let me eject. Does anyone know if it's worth trying to abort the d/l? Won't it just revert back to 1.4 if the d/l isn't successful? And how long should a d/l take?

Thanks in Advance!

Tony

Well, all went ok. wonder if toshiba's gonna address this issue..

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One thing that I would like to add to this thread is a simple but complete, step by step, guide to perform upgrades via both ethernet and disk. I've only done the upgrade via ethernet so I can't comment on the disk method. Does one simply put the disk in and press play or do they also have to go into the setup menu? Anyone want to volunteer? Feel free to use this thread for discussion and then I'll summarize the details in the first post in this thread. I've also read some good tips on getting balky home gateways to provide a proper IP address via DHCP. We can add those as well and create an upgrade FAQ for users.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Open tray, insert disc, close tray. Disc will be read and a screen display comes up asking if you want to " Proceed With Update" with a (at first) blue YES box (on the left) and a yellow NO box (on the right). Left arrow to change the YES box from blue to yellow. Now it is a yellow YES box Then hit OK on the remote control.

The front panel of the player will display 0Pct and continue updating till 90Pct, etc., till complete. Should be less than 10 minutes. Automatically the player will open the disc tray, then slowly does a Goodby to a full power off with the tray still open. Wait for the power down (red around the power button).

The User then removes the update disc from the open tray and should (the first time IMO) power up the player after a few (10?) seconds of full power off idle time and then check every thing first with the setup menu.

At least that is the process that I recall.

Bob

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I have done 3 updates, 1.4, 1.3, 2.0. I simply put the disc in and hit select on remote after choosing yes to upgrade. When 100%, the tray comes out, I take out the disc and wait until red light comes on. After anywhere from 2 to 10 sec. I turn player back on and it's ready to go. Nothing has changed in the setup menu so far. This seems faster and less troublesome than the ethernet method. Thanks to the guys who post the files for us to download.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah, I heard that leaving a disk in the player while updating will keep the player from ejecting. That's why I rather wait for the official 2.0 Firmware update disc in the mail. So looking forward to ultra TrueHD in 5.1 lossless surround! :)

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.