AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a transcoder for my projector - component is simply not good enough! I've looked a little and the name Audio Authority has popped up more than once, but i want something cheaper - not something that costs more than my DVD player! :D

The player is a Tosh SD4700.

Where can i get something else with somewhat decent PQ at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
RGB->Component is usually cheaper ($129 for Audio Authority) while Component->RGB costs more ($179 for Audio Authority). RCA makes RGB->Component for $99 but not the other way around. Key Digital makes both ways but costs more ($200-300).

If you want to upgrade from progressive component, try HTPC if you have access to a Radeon or Geforce PC that can be upgraded with a DVD-ROM and SPDIF capable sound card. I doubt taht a simple transcoder will help you much except if you have AE100 where its component input is reportedly crappy compared to VGA. With VGA you lose aspect control and some color control (except CRT PJ) so your anamophic DVDs may not benefit without the 16:9 squeeze. Another option is to get a decent scaler with aspect control builtin and with interlaced component input that will scale to your PJ native res. and deinterlaces better than your PJ's builtin processor (Iscan Pro, Omega-1 are 2 nicer ones but they run $600-900). Last option is to try another prog. DVD player like Panny RP56 which has Faroudja deinterlacer for $150 or so (discontinued, normally $200).

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.