Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAV6.6 Installation Question/Best Practice

I’m in the process of installing a CAV6.6 for audio (all rooms) and composite video (for bedrooms). Is there a “practical†way to connect the audio from the CAV directly to a TV? Since the CAV does not have any line-level outputs, I’m not sure how well it would work to simply connect the speaker level outputs to the audio inputs on the TV directly. Also, Russound does sell a small board that supposedly converts speaker level outputs to line-level, but I’ve never used this item. If anyone has, please post your results.

My ultimate goal is to have audio and video for the 2 guest bedrooms to come directly from the TV. Can some of you who have installed a CAV6.6 for this purpose comment on what I’m trying to do. I know I can run the audio from the speakers in the ceiling, but that just doesn’t seem right. I don’t it will sound right to have the TV sound coming from the speakers in the ceiling. I’d love to be able to take the same approach for my Family and Theatre rooms. That is, I would love to be able to convert the outputs of the CAV6.6 to line-level and feed it directly into the pre-amps in those rooms (basically use the CAV as a video switcher for composite sources). That way, I could use the preamps for switching everything, component, s-video and composite right from the local receiver AND still be able to play background music using the CAV.

Any help would be appreciated.

Vintagewine

·
Registered
7 Posts
The CAV does have 6 audio zone outputs that are really variable line outs. Are you confusing the CAM6.6 with the CAV6.6.?

I've used these outputs with additional amplifiers, as well as with subwoofers. I guess in theory you could send these variable outs to a TV (you would run into the issue of being able to control the volume level on both the TV and the keypad - it would get confusing).

Probably a better solution would be to use in-wall, on-wall or free standing speakers placed to the sides of the TV's to deal with the issue of correct imaging..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greytek,

Thanks for the reply. No, I'm not confusing the the CAV with the CAM. You picked up on my issue, I do NOT want to necessarily use in-wall or free standing speakers in the bedrooms. I only want to use the speakers in the TVs for video and the ceiling speakers for music. I know I can use the variable output of the CAV to hook-up additional amplifiers, etc.. What I really need is a way to convert the variable-output of the CAV to fixed line-level. That way I could feed it directly into the audio inputs of the TVs. I'm probably going to play around with setting the volume on the TVs at ~75%, feeding the audio into the TV inputs and control the volume from the CAV. Sounds like a good experiment. Not ideal, but perhaps workable. That way, I can have video sound from the TV and music from the in-ceiling speakers.

Thanks for trying to help.

Vintagewine

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know if you have committed to the CAV, but you may be better off using an ELAN System6 controller for the application you are attempting. It has the ability to use either fixed or variable line-outs, configurable by zone. You can add a Z880 to it for video switching so that it is comparable with the CAV. Just a thought.

Otherwise I think you are going to have trouble achieving what you want to. Post back with your results. I'd be interested to know if you find a way to make it happen.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Interesting experiment, however that assumes that the CAV6.6 can output simultaneously to both the variable outputs (to the TV) and the speaker outputs (for music). Have you confirmed that this is actually possible? My assumption would have been that as soon as you plugged cables into the variable outputs (for the TV), the speaker outputs would stop working, meaning you could only get one or the other, but not both. Unless you split the variable outputs, put one through a separate amp for music and connected it to the speakers, and put the other to the TV. Has anyone ever tried something like this?

I'm also interested in this, as local volume control from the TV for a TV only zone would increase the WAF (wife approval factor). As I only have RG6 run to each TV location (no line cable), however, I would also need a way to combine the variable output audio with the composite video output from the CAV6.6 into an RG6 cable. Anyone have any thoughts on how to do this? Is there some sort of composite (Yellow, Red & White) to RG6 adapter or converter cable out there? Would an RF Modulator work?

Thanks for any info.

Ian.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.