AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both networks have applied for digital licenses in Toronto. CTV has also applied for a license in Vancouver.

The CBC's French network, SRC, has also applied for a digital license for Toronto (not Montreal).

This will be, I believe, the first French-language HD channel in the world.

If memory serves, Citytv applied for their digital license in fall of 2002 and were on the air in February???

CTV and CBC can, if they choose, begin supplying an HD feed to ExpressVu and Rogers before they are on the air.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was afraid of this. If Global goes HD then you'll never see the Super Bowl with the proper commercials without an antenna.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There isn't more info, there's just a notice of a public hearing (November 17, I believe) on the CRTC website.

There will certainly be simsubs, no question about it. That's pretty much the point in CTV's case.

Although I didn't mention it, the religious station CTS is also applying for a digital license.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
I was afraid of this. If Global goes HD then you'll never see the Super Bowl with the proper commercials without an antenna.
If thats the only sacrifice for more HD on Canadian TV, I'll take it.

Shouldn't matter for you anyway, James. YOU should be able to see the US commercials. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Why are you guys really worried so much about simsubs. If you live in the GTA region, you can easily go OTA for reception from Buffalo for under $500 bucks. I've had it for a while now and its been very reliable for me. Prices for OTA Digital Tuners for HD are coming down real fast.

·
Registered
334 Posts
"CBC, CTV to go HD"

Jeeze, while they're at it, maybe the CBC could spring for a little more dough, and add stereo sound to the broadcasts, lol...... (they STILL don't broadcast ota in stereo....probably the only network in the Western Hemisphere which still doesn't)

Redvette

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They never had the capital budget to do the transmitter modifications. Frankly, in a country where few people actually get their TV OTA, I think most transmitter upgrades, including to digital, are a waste of taxpayer money that would be better of going into programming.

Meanwhile, according to today's Globe and Mail, it looks like Hockey Night in Canada will indeed be CBC's first HD program.

CBC planning foray into HDTV

By WILLIAM HOUSTON

Thursday, September 18, 2003 - Page S9

The CBC has applied for a licence to transmit high-definition television content, and the first HDTV production is likely to be a Hockey Night in Canada game.

The Grey Cup, the top-rated annual sports show in the country, seems like a natural for an HDTV debut on the CBC. But Nancy Lee, the head of sports, said the network would probably begin more modestly.

"I'm not sure we're looking at a big event," she said. "There already are challenges to televising the Grey Cup, including potential cold weather.

"We're looking at doing a series [of hockey games] in HDTV. Right now, we're doing the financials and finding out what we have to test on this."

HDTV produces a remarkably clear picture. And the wide screen is effective in sports broadcasting.

"From what industry people are saying, this is the future," Lee said. "And I think it's terrific for sports."

Recently, CTV's sports channel, TSN, produced an HDTV Canadian Football League game. Rogers Sportsnet went with HDTV for a Toronto Blue Jays-New York Yankees game.

High definition is expensive for both the consumer and the networks. Production costs are at least double, and wide-screen HDTV sets sell for about $3,000.

However, Rick Brace, the president of CTV, says high-definition's future is assured.

"We're going down the road to high definition and there's no going back," he said. "The question is how long will it take. In the United States, all the high-profile shows and high-profile sports are being produced in high definition.

"Not long ago, a plasma screen cost $10,000. But I have a JVC 48-inch high-definition TV and it cost $3,500. That's not out of the ballpark, and those numbers are dropping year by year. So, if I'm buying a new TV, there's no point in buying a standard-definition TV."

In addition to the CBC, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission announced that several stations, including CTV's outlets in Toronto and Vancouver as well as Craig's new Toronto station, had applied for HDTV licences.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Great news. The CBC info aligns with my previous information. I guess the only questions are when and how much will we get?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Excerpted from Broadcaster, 'Canada's Communication Magazine'

CRTC will hear broadcasters' digital applications

9/18/2003

OTTAWA - The CRTC will hold a public hearing on November 17th 2003 to consider a number of applications, some of which include requests for "licenses for transitional digital television programming undertakings" ? better known as requests for HDTV transmitter licenses.

Religious broadcaster Crossroads Television System (CITS-TV Hamilton) CTV Television Inc. (CFTO-TV Toronto and CIVT-TV Vancouver), the CBC in both English and French (CBLT Toronto) have all asked for licenses to operate transitional DTV broadcasting in southern Ontario.

Expect the Commission to approve these quickly as the broadcasters have already made moves to go digital.

Craig Broadcasting's Toronto 1 has been testing its HD delivery and is touting its launch as the first complete digital over-the-air station in Canada.

Moderators Note: toronto/one is scheduled to go live tomorrow, 9/19.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Ottawa has been test broadcasting as long as anyone in Canada.

So why havent they applied?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Because no one wants to spend the money to have an OTA HD transmitter for the daily 1/2 hour on CBC and daily 2 hours on CTV of local news programming that's SD anyway for the 2 or 3 people in the area with HDTV OTA recievers who subscribe to neither cable nor satellite.

People on cable or satellite will get the HD signals that way. People who are waiting for OTA outside Toronto and Vancouver have a long wait ahead of them. SRC didn't even apply for a Montreal transmitter, just Toronto.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by daniel_hamekasi
can one get OTA HDTV in Montreal?
Channel 64 (Industry Canada test transmitter) is currently showing a two-minute loop of images from Colorado. I've seen the 15-minute "Over Canada" loop a few weeks ago. They show CBC-HD hockey live when it's available. TQS got its licence granted for channel 42 but the guy I spoke to said they won't be on until late 2005.

On the U.S. side, WCFE (Mountain Lake PBS) should be on in the next few weeks on channel 38 from Lyon Mountain, NY.

WPTZ (NBC Plattsburgh) is allegedly to begin in May on channel 14 from Mt. Terry, NY.

The other stations (WCAX-53 (CBS), WFFF-43 (Fox), WVNY-13 (ABC), WETK-32 (PBS Vermont) from Burlington) are set to begin construction on Mt. Mansfield, VT, which has been delayed because of environmentalists. The time they take depends on the source. Some say they will be on a year after construction if everything goes well, while some have said it could take two years. However, I recently read that WETK plans to be on Q4 this year! I heard that their agreement with the environmentalists is that they would have to all work in the same building and use the same tower together. This may mean that they will all go on at the same time.

Get your antennas out, especially since CTV has started doing substitution in HD.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm looking to see if I can pick up HNIC in Buffalo and I'm using DirectTv....does anybody have a website similar to antennaweb.org for Canada? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CBC has no OTA HD transmitter as yet. Their license was only approved on Jan. 30, so it will presumably be a few months before OTA transmission starts.

Their HD editions of HNIC have been available on cable and satellite only, just like CTV's HD programming (their license was also approved on the 30th.) Citytv and Toronto-1 are currently transmitting OTA.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.